We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is South of Market Area Safe at night ?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Is South of Market Area Safe at night ?

I am intending to stay at Civic Center Motor Inn for 4 nights for an upcoming holiday. There would be 6 of us on this trip. 4 Adults + 2 kids (3 & 5 ) As our flight is an early morning flight at 605am am wondering if it will be safe to drive out to the airport in the early hours ? Also generally is this area safe at night ?

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is South of Market Area Safe at night ?

Have you read the TripAdvisor reviews on this motel?

When will you be here?

It's not an ideal location for walking, and rather out of the way for touring the sights, as you have to walk up to Market St to get transportation. It should be cheap, though, and there should be no problems driving out of there to get to SFO early in the morning. If you want true SF atmosphere, this is not the place for you.

What's your budget limit per night for your six persons? I think you may need two rooms.

I wouldn't be walking this area at night. Take a taxi if you come back after 6 pm

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,439 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is South of Market Area Safe at night ?

I hope you can change your reservation, if you have already made it. You do not want to stay in the Civic Center area....and *especially* not here.

Please read the Trip Advisor Reviews.

http://tinyurl.com/lrrohc8

I would never take children to stay in an area of drug dealers and alcoholic transients.

Please give us your budget and let us help you find a decent place to put your 6 adults and two children.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is South of Market Area Safe at night ?

Thank you all for the replies. I have yet to book the motel. In view that we are a big group, i am preferably looking at a max of USD 1200 for the 4 nights . We will be there from Mar 21st to Mar 25th 2014. We would be having a car during this period.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,356 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is South of Market Area Safe at night ?

Read the Top Questions (on full desktop browser) on the right regarding hotel areas. You may be able to get two rooms with parking included in one of the motels on Lombard.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is South of Market Area Safe at night ?

So you're looking at $300 per night for a single room or multiple rooms? What is your dollar amount per room per night?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is South of Market Area Safe at night ?

I'm guessing this is $300 for all 6 people (4 adults and 2 kids). Luckily their dates are in March rather than the next few months which seem to be extra expensive.

There are a bunch of top questions about hotels (right side in non-mobile version or top 10 questions in second post). Check the hotels for 5 or more people, hotels with parking, budget hotels questions.

If you can get rid of the car while here in San Francisco it could save you extra parking charges. See the question "why not have a car in San Francisco" if you haven't read it yet.

Good luck with the trip planning.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is South of Market Area Safe at night ?

There are a few motor inns on 9th St. Many of them don't look too bad from the outside but every time I drive past (which I do with some regularity as there's an exit from the freeway to 9th St.) I feel so very sorry for the people who made the mistake and chose to stay there.

This is not a very nice area. Light industrial and a bit slummy. And to get over to the other side of 5th Street becomes very slummy (and druggy) along 6th and 7th Streets. Further the blocks south of Market are rather long and not very well serviced by transit.

Read through the Top Questions and please feel free to ask more questions if you find something you like.

With that large a group you might take a look at the Marina Motel. I believe they have a few larger suites, some with kitchens (which might be useful for your group as well). Free parking. Good neighborhood and generally considered a budget option.

http://www.marinamotel.com/

Edited: 27 August 2013, 15:31
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is South of Market Area Safe at night ?

Thank you all for the replies. Given the feedback, i've decided to strike off the South of MArket Market area. Would be considering the Marina Motel or those on Lomabard Street !

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,439 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is South of Market Area Safe at night ?

Good decision. Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is South of Market Area Safe at night ?

In addition to the motor lodges along Lombard Street, also consider rental listings on VRBO and AirBNB. Because of the large size of your group, it may be easier to stay in a flat or apartment during your visit. Feel free to post here if you have questions about the locations of specific properties you find on those two websites.