We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on a short notice...San fran to Sausilito!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on a short notice...San fran to Sausilito!

Hi, I am asking alot here on a very short notice! I am in San fran and am going to take a ferry tomorrow august 28th to Sausilito and I literally have 1.5 hours there(because of my circumstances and ferry times)... Tell me your favorite restaurant and stores(shopping) in a walking distance from the ferry... If I have more to see I may take a taxi back to san fran and not the ferry!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,619 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on a short notice...San fran to Sausilito!

Sausalito's tourist area is one main street (along the waterfront) and some cross streets running back a block. My favorite restaurant is Poggio... if you stroll from the ferry there, take a quick walk up and down Bridgeway back to the ferry, that will be your time. Shopping is very high end (or tourist cr*p)... jewelry, art, expensive clothing. Here's a great map of Sausalito www.sausalito.org/views/media/Map_2012.pdf (scroll down to the bottom image, as that's the part that has the ferry terminal).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on a short notice...San fran to Sausilito!

Agree - shopping there is pretty lame. It's the kind of place where you walk through, look at stuff, and realize you either don't want it, can't afford it, or don't really need it.

The views back to the city are nice while dining.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on a short notice...San fran to Sausilito!

It's fun going out on the water, and it's scenic in both directions. Have a great trip! (Some recently posted about a Mexican restaurant in Sausalito that they just loved - there can't be a lot of them...)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,421 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on a short notice...San fran to Sausilito!

We love Poggio as well in Sausalito and it is very close to the Ferry Terminal. There is waterfront dining at the Trident and a few more places. There is Copita and a few other places for Mexican but none were anything to write home about imho.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on a short notice...San fran to Sausilito!

If you want to stay longer, Golden Gate Transit has buses traveling through Sausalito to SF.

www.goldengatetransit.org

for schedules

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on a short notice...San fran to Sausilito!

Well, people vary in what they like in terms of any food. 78% of people reviewing Copita did like it here on TA:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g33062-d31…

And one of the people giving it 5 stars lives in Mexico. Says it's true Mexican style food. I thought I might find the name of our recent poster in the review section, but nothing rang a bell. I'm guessing it was Copita. Poggia also gets excellent reviews here (and a personal recommendation on this thread - so if Italian is what's calling to you tomorrow, your choice is made!)

On TA, the Salsalito Taco Bar is the 6th highest ranked restaurant in Sausalito (guess I must be jonesin' for Mexican today). The reviews say it is fast and inexpensive, if that's what you want.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on a short notice...San fran to Sausilito!

You might also check schedules for Tiburon. Smaller and quieter, but the trip is scenic. In July of last year, we took the last ferry back on a Friday night and it stopped at Sausalito to pick up passengers.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on a short notice...San fran to Sausilito!

<<6th highest ranked restaurant in Sausalito>>

There aren't many more restaurants in Sausalito.

Sushi Ran is excellent. A bit further away from the ferry dock but not as touristy an area either.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,308 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on a short notice...San fran to Sausilito!

Might have been me, and we loved our meal at Copita. I enjoy food, so it has to be BAD for me to say its bad but we all really enjoyed Copita and the friends who went with us are more foodies than we are. Sausolito looked like the sort of place with lots of good options for dining, so I guess you just have to make a choice.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,421 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on a short notice...San fran to Sausilito!

Copita has a great menu and very interesting things - not your run of the mill Mexican place from Joanne Weir who has Tv shows. We had great drinks and apps but the entrees were just meh. Perhaps it was a bad day but we were so looking forward to the whole meal. For us it was ok. Yes on paper the menu has really interesting things to eat.

Sushi Ran is sooo good as Sal mentions.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 20:25