We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On the less beaten path...

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Encinitas...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
On the less beaten path...

I’m taking my wife back to San Francisco, where I proposed to her just over a year ago. We’ve done the tourist spots of Union Square, through Chinatown, ending up in Fisherman’s Warf (of course).

For this trip, do any of you fine travellers have recommendations for other authentic neighborhoods? I’m staying in the Marina district and thinking the Castro, Haight Ashbury, and Golden Gate Park sound interesting.

Any thoughts on making this trip memorable? Appreciate tips on events, places, neighborhoods and creative suggestions for a couple of thirty-somethings.

Thanks Trip Advisor familia!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,426 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On the less beaten path...

http://www.sfgate.com/neighborhoods/ has a list of the neighborhoods. What do you want to do there ? Browse, shop, eat ? The Marina is close to Cow Hollow and also to the Presidio which is a great place to hike and walk around in.

Golden Gate Park is also a tourist spot especially on the Eastern side but sure GG Park is great place to visit and the Haight is close by and you can do that area as well. Biking, Segway tours, are options.

Castro is a fun part of SF with plenty of restaurants and you can also cover the Mission and Noe Valley.

Have you checked out the Trip Reports -- First post on the SF forum Lots of ideas there. Welcome back and glad you are coming back to the city by the bay

Edited: 29 August 2013, 03:40
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,957 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On the less beaten path...

Ever read any Rod McKuen while visiting Golden Gate Park and environs?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On the less beaten path...

Well, Cole Valley is just a short walk from the Haight, West Portal also, though you'd have to take Muni under Twin Peaks, and Twin Peaks itself if you can get up there.

Encinitas...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On the less beaten path...

Thanks all for the suggestions. With a short three day trip, should I even consider taking the ferry over to Sausalito?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On the less beaten path...

Since it's a second trip, I'd say enjoy the ferry! If the weather is beautiful, there's nothing like it. You see Alcatraz, the bridge. Enjoy lunch at the Trident on the waterfront (food ok, view great), stroll on Bridgeway for a few blocks, then take the ferry back. Just a couple of hours, but with amazing views.

(PS - if you'd rather have good food than a view, try Poggio, Sushi Ran, Fish, or some other places mentioned in other topics.)

6. Re: On the less beaten path...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 06:21