We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach at Alcatraz?

Level Contributor
295 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
beach at Alcatraz?

Is there a rocky beach or a nicer sand one at Alcatraz? Can my kids play on a beach there? Thanks for replying!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,789 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach at Alcatraz?

There are other beaches in SF such as Ocean Beach and Baker Beach but the water is too cold and the currents are dangerous but I would not take kids to Alcatraz to play on beaches. Perhaps angel island would be better if you want kids to run around or just go to Crissy field in the Marina and they can run around there

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach at Alcatraz?

There's a reason it's called "The Rock." No beaches (at least none with public access).

I'd suggest Aquatic Park to let small ones play in the sand. The water will be a tad bit warmer than elsewhere in the bay (although it will still be cold) and it's very safe. Aquatic Park is located at the west end of Fisherman's Wharf, near the foot of Hyde Street and just down from Ghirardelli Square.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach at Alcatraz?

Beach play on Alcatraz? How delightful! Thanks for the chuckle.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach at Alcatraz?

the former inhabitants of Alcatraz used to refer to solitary confinement as being "on the beach". I don't think that your kids would care for that, even if it might occur to you from time to time. The Rock has a rocky shore, sort of like most "beaches" in Europe.

Level Contributor
3,547 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: beach at Alcatraz?

Didn't all prisons come with a beach?

Just to let you know the waters around the ROCK are very dangerous, and even if it had a beach I wouldn't let my kids any way near it.

Depending on when you're visiting take the advice of Angel Island, or if in Oct try Ocean Beach.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,805 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beach at Alcatraz?

** *Didn't all prisons come with a beach?" **

You're thinking of the country club "prisons." I don't think that level of luxury was fashionable in the days when Alcatraz was accepting guests. :^D

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beach at Alcatraz?

Maybe OP was thinking of leaving their kids behind on The Rock (kids today might be more familiar with WWF and Dwayne Johnson's movies than they are with Alcatraz, so when they heard they were going to see The Rock, the may have been excited).

Edited: 29 August 2013, 18:35
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,709 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beach at Alcatraz?

Going to Alactraz so the kids can play on the beach there.

My life is complete.

I have now officially heard it all.

9. Re: beach at Alcatraz?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 06:19