We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 1/2 days in San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
2 1/2 days in San Francisco

2 1/2 days in SF with 2 children (7 & 9)

WEDNESDAY-arrive check in spend a hour or so at the golden gate bridge , 2 hours at the golden gate park and 2-3 hours at the California academy of science (approximate times).

THURSDAY-go to the early Alcatraz tour spending up to 3 hours here, go for lunch around pier 39 spending time here and then few hours at The Fisherman's Wharf.

FRIDAY-morning head to Ferry Building Marketplace, walk the S road(long bard street) Knob hill house, look for wild parrots,drive to Twin Peaks then head to San Ramon .

Somewhere fit in a cable car ride

Will also do a foodie search as we like to go find fun places as part of our family adventure.

China town?

Looking at staying at holiday inn express north point street,

We will have a car

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,062 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 1/2 days in San Francisco

OK sounds like a fun time, but is there a question?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 1/2 days in San Francisco

A car is more of a hinderence than a help and you may spend time parklng and paying to park. It should be ok at the GG park

You can take the cable car and get off near Lombard street and with a passport board another one again and go close to Chinatown

Pier 39 is Fishermans wharf. You can add the Exploratorium that day as it will be fun for the kids either walk there or use the F streetcar

TSS you have the best suggestions for a foodie in Chinatown. Care to share the places ? What was that thing you enjoyed there a few weeks ago ? Beef tongue or something similar ?

Edited: 29 August 2013, 19:32
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 1/2 days in San Francisco

It seems most places a car is not needed once we arrive in SFO .however we will need one to get to San Ramen and from there to SF airport .

Unless other suggestions you could mention please :)

If we checked out our car we would save 3 days of car rental and $45 a day to park :(

I have found rates with Budget for $675 for 9 1/2 days unlimted mileage. Fairly reasonable

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,062 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 1/2 days in San Francisco

Are you visiting someone in San Ramon? You can take BART to San Ramon (East Dublin station) and have your friend pick you up. You can then take BART to SFO.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 1/2 days in San Francisco

No my daughter is in a dance competition. Looking at staying at the residence inn or san ramon marriott on Bishop road. Perhaps one of these hotels does shuttle service pick up from the Bart

The drive from San Ramon with traffic could be 1 12 hours I thought so this could be an expensive cab ride.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,062 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 1/2 days in San Francisco

There are taxis waiting at the BART station but then you'll still have to get to the dance and back to the hotel.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 1/2 days in San Francisco

The dance competition is at the hotel

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 1/2 days in San Francisco

TSS is the expert in the East bay and I would heed his advise. As far as SF goes, if you still decide to rent a car, you can rent one just for that San Ramon part and rent it at Fisherman's wharf. The fees are lower than SFO but the cost may in most cases not all cases be lower than SFO. You just have to shop and search and use various coupons codes to get the best deal.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,622 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 1/2 days in San Francisco

>>THURSDAY-go to the early Alcatraz tour spending up to 3 hours here, go for lunch around pier 39 spending time here and then few hours at The Fisherman's Wharf.<<

Pier 39 is part of Fisherman's Wharf, so you may be done with that whole area a little earlier than planned. Maybe include dinner in Chinatown on this day? Take the cable car from Bay and Taylor to Bush and Powell, then walk back to the hotel through Chinatown along Grant Avenue and Stockton Street.

>>walk the S road(long bard street) Knob hill house, look for wild parrots,<<

Long Bard = Lombard Street, the crooked street

Knob Hill = Nob Hill, and there is one only "house" there, the former Flood Mansion. Otherwise the area is high-rise hotels, apartments and condos. And a beautiful church, Grace Cathedral.

I doubt you'll see the parrots today (maybe at the Embarcadero by the Ferry Building, if you are there early enough).

Edited: 30 August 2013, 20:03
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,062 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 1/2 days in San Francisco

Well now I am the expert on the whole East Bay. I am barely knowledgeable on my little corner of Dublin, Pleasanton, and Livermore. I may be an expert on the Livermore Discount Outlet Mall (now named something else).

To OP, since the dance competition is right at the hotel, then you can definitely BART to the East Dublin station and take taxi to the hotel. Although without a car it would limit your dining choices in the area. The Residence Inn is within walking distance to a lot more restaurants. So maybe just rent a car for the San Ramon portion of the trip.