We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

today was a blast

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,456 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
today was a blast

continuing on....

we grabbed some breaky at the hotel mayflower. it's continental--muffins, hardboiled eggs, cheese, ham, bagels, toast ,---you get the pix.

today was embarcadero day.it started at 10:30. we walked down to the ferry building(pier 1) checked out the peeps wares and then started our journey. we walked out on some of the piers--great photo opportunities.

we stopped at techno candy--got some free samples, stopped at a pier that had ":american cup" stuff.''

i was impressed with pier 39. okay i know it's "touristy" but i AM a tourist. lot of action, some really nice shops. we stopped at the fog harbor lighthouse, had a fab view-----we had the best calamari i ever had,clam chowder in a breadbowl, salmon salad, fish and chips, crab cake sandwich, beers and i had 2 margs to die for. our newly wedded daughter joined us while her hubby golfed with his brother.

after lunch, we walked around looking for the supposedly free room of mirrors. it's $5 now---we passed on it. the seal lions was the coolest. they are hilarious---what a blessing that these wild animals choose to grace sf with their presence. we took a million pictures and went to the end and took pix of alcatraz. my hubby gets seasick so visiting it was out of the question. i had some coupons for the aquarium, fleet boats so i gave them to some peeps in line.

next we went to pier 45 to musee mecanique. it was a cool machine museum where you could put in quarters in these arcade machines--it was fun.

we continued up to fishermans wharf, listened to some street performers--this one guy was a one man band--awesome.

next we went to ghirardelli--sampled some candy--got some ice cream.

i have been wanting to ride the cable car---but the lines are long and i'm with 3 men. think about it. well we got a free ride on the f-line back. and we got back at 7:30. so here i sit babblin about my day.

the streets of san francisco are beautiful. i love looking at the buildings, art,different sights etc. but i have a real hard time seeing the people begging. i wish i had a ton of money ----cuz i'd pass it out. as it is i lost the money i had in my pocket today---probably draggin out my map.

i know my comment about the homeless may rub people the wrong way---but no one should go hungry. and yes there are some cons out there but i'll always have a problem with it.

once i was in chicago and a man asked me for a $1---i ignored him and kept walking. he said, "maam please only a dollar. ' i continued to not even look at him. that night i couldn't sleep and i swore i would never do that to a human being again. and i haven't. but here in sf there are so many---i cannot give to all and i feel bad. anyway...

this was our day today.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: today was a blast

So glad you had a great day.

However ....

Please, please do not give money to beggars. More than likely they are not "homeless" and if tourists would stop giving them money they would disappear. This city is very liberal and there are more than enough programs for the truly homeless to get off the street and get help with whatever addiction they have.

You don't see "homeless" in the neighborhoods ... only where soft touch tourists are. Please, don't give any money. You are only propagating the problem.

Edited: 30 August 2013, 04:41
Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,064 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: today was a blast

Please give money...but give it to the charities that have programs in place to help get people off the streets.

Glad you are enjoying your visit.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,725 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: today was a blast

What a great time you’re having—thanks for sharing your experiences! And congrats to the newlyweds. :)

All of us have a hard time seeing folks in dire need who are starving or cold. As Sal said, it’s impossible to tell who is needy and who is scamming, because we do have career street people who target tourists (and yes, locals to some extent; we also have them in some neighborhoods, but not to the same degree as the "touristy" areas). When I see someone turn down a sandwich that they are offered, because they want cash instead, that tells me something. We have many charitable organizations that wear themselves out feeding folks and trying to help people help themselves (who often aren’t interested in helping themselves), but a dollar given to St. Anthony’s Dining Room, the Salvation Army, or Glide Memorial Church will go further than $10 given to someone on the street.

I have a suggestion for your TR, since I saw your previous post. It’s easier for us to follow if you keep it all on one thread and add replies to the original post. It’s like a serialized story and the continuity helps. We won’t have to look for the earlier thread to get the full story. Since you already have replies on both threads, you don’t want to delete either of them, but maybe post a link here to your earlier thread and just maintain this one.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,625 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: today was a blast

Thank you for your TR. Enjoyed reading it.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,137 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: today was a blast

I have to pile on about the homeless issue. Most of the panhandlers aren't homeless. One of the local news stations did a story on the local panhandlers a few years ago, and they showed videos of how panhandlers would take the money they got from begging, use it to get drunk or high, and then would head right back out to beg. They also showed a couple of beggars in wheelchairs who, at the end of the day, would wheel a few blocks to their van or car, hop out of their chair, throw it in the vehicle, and drive off.

When the homeless problem first arose in SF in the early 80s, I was very sympathetic and gave them money. But when you've seen the same people begging for months or years at the same spot, you start to realize that they view begging as a job.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,985 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: today was a blast

Please listen to the points above. I am in Seattle, and today I walked down to Pike Place Market and back to my workplace on 7 th Ave. so 6 blocks each way. I have never seen so many people asking for money as I did today, and I have lived here for so do not feel guilty for walking by without giving hat dollar. years. I know there are charities in place to help the homeless because I support several of them. If you give money to the people asking, who knows what it will be used for. I too have had the experience of offering food -- sandwich, or other food, or even a coupon for free food -– and was cursed for it.

So do ot feel guilty for walking on by when asked. It could be a scam,or if not, there are places they could goto get a good meal.

7. Re: today was a blast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 August 2013, 08:22
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: today was a blast

I once bought a hotdog in San Francisco, and soon thereafter found myself walking up on a guy on Market or Mission who was berating passersby with such vitriol as "gimme a dollar, look how you're dressed, you can afford it!, C'mon give me a dollar, b1tch!" and so on. I offered him my hot dog "here, you want this?" and his response was "I don't want that sh*t!"

Glad you had a great time in this wonderful city.

Edited: 30 August 2013, 08:28
Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,456 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: today was a blast

thx so much for the replies----i go to puerto vallarta twice a year. and i have good friends that live there. they tell me the same thing as you. thx to you maybe that gnawing in the pit of my stomach won't appear when i'm walking around today.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: today was a blast

I love your trip posts!