We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in SF itinerary..

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights in SF itinerary..

Hello folks,

i have asked earlier in the below topic for some suggestions for 4 nights in SF

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k675931…

You advised to read some then get back, which i did, i read a lot about SF and here is my initial itinerary...I checked all the topics here, faq, reports...etc... i have reached the following at the end.. i will be staying in an INN in richardson avenue. i will be staying for 5 nights.

day1: check-in, take a tour of the area, lombard street, stroll around marina district till the ocean.

day2: hop on hop off bus tour for 2 hours, then spend rest of the day walking by the sea, pier 39, fisherman wharf, china town, northbeach.

day3: go to golden gate bridge, walk till the end then back, golden gate park, have some strolling the asbury area, pacific heights & the neighborhood there.

day4: do the earliest alcatarz tours for 2 hours, take the bart till macys stores, do some shopping there, back to the city stroll down through union square, financial district.

day5: take bart till end of the blue line, then bus to livermoore outlet, do some shopping, back at about may be 2 or 3 PM, enjoy walking down the streets between nob hill, russian hill, telegraph hills till the sea side.

again what enjoys me most is: walking & strolling around in the cities i visit, do shopping and buy souvenirs back, am not much interested in restaurants, clubs & pubs...

What do you think of this? am willing to hear your suggestions, for sure if u see i have tio add something, may be places that someone should eat at !....etc..

Also if you know department stores, outlets, such as Macys withing SF it would be good.. what do u think also of livermoore outlet?

Waiting you :)

Edited: 30 August 2013, 22:05
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,432 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in SF itinerary..

Welcome back and thanks for taking the time to do some reading. Are you ok with the Knights Inn based on reading the reviews?

On day 4. BART to Macy's from Pier 33 does not work. BART does not go to that part of town. You have to use MUNI to get around SF (there are parts like the Mission where BART goes) and if you purchase a MUNI passport all your bus rides are included. maps.google.com can help. just click on the bus icon. You can take the F streetcar to get to Macy's in Union Square from Pier 33.

You do need BART to get to the Outlet mall and that would be a separate ticket. Now are you planning to walk all those hills after shopping with all the bags ? That for most (at least for me who always carries the bags wont be fun). You are staying at one end of Lombard street so it will take time to get to that hotel and back if you have bags

Cable Car ride ? It is fun and something unique to SF . www.sfcablecar.com has the three routes.

what sort of food do you want to try?

Edited: 30 August 2013, 22:14
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in SF itinerary..

Hello belomiser,

As for knights INN i really read a lot on booking and here, at the end i need a place to sleep only, not a fancy place that's why most probably i will be there....also the only option fitting my budget...... am looking at san bruno in super 8 hotel, and i may ride caltrain to the AT&T park every day and then i'm in the city..what do u think? ..but i think knights INN is more nice as it is in the city with 5 minutes to the ocean!

Now for day4, i meant macys which is in livremoore, didn't know there is one in union square..thanks i think now i will stick to the on in union square.. then for day5 i will take BART till Dublin/Pleasanton to get to livremoore outlet.... you think it is a good deal in the premium outlets? am clothes and accessories shopaholic!

i think i will put the bags in the INN then back to the hills to have some walk.. as for the food i don't like seafood at all or chinese..... may be italian food is the best for me :)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in SF itinerary..

In a couple of places you've commented that the Marina is close to the ocean. This may sound picky but be aware that it's San Francisco Bay that the Marina borders. The ocean is outside the Golden Gate (on the west side of the bridge).

The reviews of the Knight's Inn don't look too good but the location is a lot better than staying in San Bruno. As long as you go in with your eyes open (or maybe not in this case).

You will find lots of great walks around the Marina, through Cow Hollow, along Crissy Field and into the Presidio.

If your Alcatraz tour is Friday or Sunday you will have an opportunity to go on a tour of the Gardens of Alcatraz which includes some areas not otherwise open to visitors.

You might also enjoy joining a City Guides tour. These are free walking tours and they have a large selection of offerings (they'll pass an envelope at the end of the tour to defray their expenses -- $1-3 would be plenty). www.sfcityguides.org

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in SF itinerary..

you are right the marina in the bay, the ocean is on the left side on the bridge..may be i wasn't accurate in describing this..i just was referring to the water generally by the ocean..

But what do you mean by (As long as my eyes open)? :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,432 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights in SF itinerary..

Italian -- plenty of choices in the areas that Sal mentioned. Rose's cafe on Union is popular but have not been there for a long time and then one we like is Ristobar on Chestnut Street and also while not quite the same as eating in Chicago, try Patxi's pizza for Chicago style deep dish pie style pizza.

Plenty of Italian in North beach as well.

Sal will have her favs as well.

Also how about a good old fashioned American Steak ? Boboquivari's or Izzy's are relatively less expensive than many of the other steakhouses.

Edited: 30 August 2013, 23:32
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,238 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights in SF itinerary..

As the DE (unofficial) for the Livermore Premium Outlet Mall, I can testify that it's an excellent place to shop, esp. for more high end fashion. Since you can take BART and bus there, it's great for shoppers from SF. There is no Macy store at this mall, but since there is a big Macy store in SF Union Square, that's where you should go for Macy shopping.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,432 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 nights in SF itinerary..

Do you get the best discount at that mall TSS ? Time to demand that imho !!

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 nights in SF itinerary..

good to know livremoore is a good place to shop..on its site they say it is doable by BART then bus.. i want to make sure it offers discounts and stuff as other outlets, right?!

For the italian food it seems SF got a lot to offer which makes my enthusiastic for it, also as belomiser said , i heard about north beach that a lot of italian food is in it actually. seems that i got to give it a shot and search for some good restaurants to try..may be give it also a try for any american steak.

Waiting also for rest of the guys here to give there advise on the itinerary.. Happy to have helpful people like you :)

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,238 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 nights in SF itinerary..

I am working on a personal parking space with my name on it.

To the OP, they do offer discounts like other outlet malls, with outlet stores from high end stores such as Saks Fifth Ave., etc.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,432 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 nights in SF itinerary..

TSS knows the best kabob and shawarma places in town as well but I don't think you want to eat that. Btw, when I was very young, I was lucky enough to visit your country -- besides the main attractions I remember the traffic and the breakfast -- fuul I think it was called. We had one Egyptian restaurant in Marin County (just north of the Golden Gate Bridge) but I think it must have closed many many years ago.