We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation in San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Accomodation in San Francisco

We will be in San Francisco from 27/10/13 until 30/10/13. We have found the accommodation to be quite expensive. We are 4 adults, and were looking at Union Square or Fishermans Wharf. Are there any other places to stay that are safe and affordable. We found Corte Madera and Mill Valley but are they too far out. Keen to know what you think.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,821 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation in San Francisco

Look on the right side of this page under top questions: Budget Hotels and Hotels with Parking. That should answer your questions. Corte Madera and Mill Valley are not in San Francisco, and would involve a long daily commute for your SF visits.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation in San Francisco

What is your budget in USD per room per night?

Brisbane, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation in San Francisco

We don't mind paying up to $250 per night, however the less we pay for accommodation, the more we have for spending. Having said that we would like something that is clean and fairly close to popular attractions.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
174 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation in San Francisco

We stayed in the SW hotel a few months ago...it was most reasonably priced 4 star we could find. It's located on the boundary of Chinatown and North Beach. Loved the location-tons of good reastaurants within 5 mins, could walk down to see alot and there is a busline (30) which stops very close by. Clean, good wi-fi, although count on eating breakfast somewhere else. Goodluck!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation in San Francisco

There is a convention in SF just around that time for about 11,000 people that is causing the rates to go up. I see rooms at beresford arms, des Arts both close to Union Square and there are others in the Lombard street area. Add 15% tax to the rates you see

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation in San Francisco

I would suggest finding a place and booking it. Even if you want to keep looking, book something cancellable. With such a large convention in town (SF has 33,000 rooms -- this meeting is taking about 1/3 of them) prices will do nothing but go up. October usually has nice weather here and it's a popular month, even without the large meetings.

<<SW hotel a few months ago...it was most reasonably priced 4 star we could find>>

I think this comment needs clarification. While the SW has pretty good TA reviews (4 circles) that does mean it is a "four star" hotel. Far from it. For your dates it's pricing at $279.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation in San Francisco

I'm also curious about the budget. Is the $250 per room and assuming you'll get two rooms, or is that $250 total?

If looking to put everyone up for $250 a night, you may want to be aware that many hotels in San Francisco offer two double/full-size beds rather than 2 queen size ones in rooms with two beds. There must be some places that offer two queens, which is a somewhat common configuration in some other places in the U.S., but because of the very high costs of real estate in San Francisco it seems about as common as unicorns and catching leprechauns at the end of the rainbow.

If trying to get two rooms for under $250 total, you will definitely need to look on the budget end for hotel rooms since $125 per room is not a lot in San Francisco. The budget hotels mentioned in the top questions are where I would start. Though I believe the des Arts is as good budget option, some of their rooms have minimum stay requirements of 7 nights ( www.sfhoteldesarts.com/content/reservations ), so it may not work out for you.

I suppose you could also try hotwire or priceline (read relevant sites such as http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com and http://www.betterbidding.com). If you go this route, you need to exercise care since the bookings are non-refundable and you want to be sure you'll be getting something you can live with even though the hotel name and exact location aren't revealed until after you book.

Fortunately for you, I still saw quite a bit of availability for your dates when looking at a hotel booking site, so it doesn't seem quite as bad as some times in the next few months. Still, the situation probably won't get better by waiting, so booking sooner rather than later is a good idea. Perhaps book something cancellable if you're holding out for a better rate, so you have something to fall back on.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation in San Francisco

You cannot book a single hotel room for 4 people on Priceline. They will only guarantee a room for 2 persons in San Francisco.

However, Hotwire will work as you can stipulate a room for 4 persons on that website.

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodation in San Francisco

We stayed at the holiday inn,just around the corner from fisherman wharf . Recommend

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomodation in San Francisco

We stayed at the holiday inn,just around the corner from fisherman wharf . Recommend