We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New year!

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New year!

I am going to San Fran and will be there for a few days including over new year. We are running to a very tight schedule so need 2 plan everything in advance. Any tips for news years eve in San Fran?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,918 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New year!

My tip is: book early.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New year!

What do you want to do on NYE?

I always find dining out on NYE to be an overpriced and uncomfortable experience. Tables for 2 become tables for 4 and prices are doubled as well. Not to mention that it's the less experienced wait staff who can't get the night off.

Give us more info on the type of experience you're looking for.

Fireworks at NY's is at The Embarcadero not far from the Ferry Building.

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New year!

I'm not interested in big clubs or dinner out. just want a good atmosphere, some fireworks ( i have a very romantic view of what san fran will be like) Is there a celebration anything like the ball drop in NYC? Just out in the city? Also will I need a car or is public transport ok? Would like 2 have a beer or 2. Not sorted accommodation yet so not sure of the area I will be staying in! Hopefully somewhere safe!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,804 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New year!

Time to read the TOP QUESTIONS and then come back with specifics. Fireworks are as mentioned along the Embarcadero. None of the TQs mention any dirty or unsafe hotels so please do not worry.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,070 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New year!

Most NYE celebrations are in bars, restaurants, clubs, etc. SInce you're not interested in those, the only civic celebration is the fireworks near the Ferry Building (last year I believe it was from south of the Ferry Building). Be prepared to walk back to your lodging afterwards, as public transit is overwhelmed! And that will be our rainy season, so be prepared for cold, wet, windy weather!

Edited: 03 September 2013, 04:03
London
Level Contributor
967 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New year!

You really need to get your hotel booked. There are variouis bars located in Fishermans wharf area which will be celebrating if thats the atmosphere you are looking for, these include Fiddlers Green Bar, Jacks bar, the pub.

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New year!

Hi. We r booked in at the hilton in union square. The alternative hotel was quite far away from everything and I'm told this 1 isn't? I've check out the above comments for the fireworks, just need probably as it will be new year to book an early dinner somewhere so we can leave plenty of time to get to the pier?!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New year!

From the Hilton Union Square to the Embarcadero near where the fire works will be is about a mile ... an easy walk. And as Susan says, transit will be mobbed afterward so you'll likely be walking back.

Keep in mind that the fireworks are at midnight.

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New year!

Thanks I will. Can you recommend any restaurants ?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,804 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New year!

what sort of food ? Most restaurants will have a pre-fix menu so about a month in advance, you can look at www.opentable.com and see the list of restaurants and their specials and reserve it then. There is no need to look for a restaurant right now. But if you do want to look at restaurants www.sfgate.com/food has a list of top 100 and opentable has their popular and most booked and highly rated restaurants so that can give you an idea.

Any restaurant in the Union Square area will be walking distance from the Hilton

maps.google.com can help