We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice re Trip to San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
231 reviews
Save Topic
Advice re Trip to San Francisco

I am visiting San Francisco with my wife and disabled adult daughter in October and we are staying in Fishermans Wharf.

Despite reading alot on this forum a few questions please:

- My daughter needs the use of a oxygen concentrator at night , can anyone advise where I can hire an oxygen concentrator?

- Any reasonably priced restaurants you would recommend in the Wharf area ?

- Any recommendations for theme parks to visit in the area?

- My daughter enjoys watching shows/cinema etc, any recommendations welcome.

- Finally my daughter is here to visit her brother who has recently moved out and his still finding his way. If she could surprise him by taking him for a really good meal chinese or local cuisine where would you recommend.

Thank you

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice re Trip to San Francisco

We use tools such as www.yelp.com for finding restaurants and reading reviews. Most locals would not recommend restaurants in Fisherman's wharf -- there a few that many suggest such as codmother fish and chips and there is an empanada place next door we have visited.

Chinese food -- There is a list on the right side of this page, or on the 2nd post of this SF forum

Where do I go for Seafood in SF?

Where should we go for Chinese food? How about DimSum? (Updated June 2013)

Shows -- One that may or may not work is Beach Blanket Babylon. As far as movie theaters, there is one on Chestnut street closest to FW or you can go to the Mission Area which has theaters www.fandango.com can help

Theme parks -- Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo.

As far as Oxygen Concentrators, Let me hunt around and come up with some links to help you

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice re Trip to San Francisco

No Theme Parks within the City of San Francisco, but there are two in the Bay Area, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and California's Great America.

www.sixflags.com/discoveryKingdom/index.aspx

https://www.cagreatamerica.com/

For a good meal at a good price, I like In-n-Out Burger, nothing fancy, but good food.

As for the Oxygen, here is a link to a company that offers a weekly rental rate, and will deliver to your Hotel. (But from an national location using UPS.)

oxygenconcentratorinc.com/oxygenrentals/sanf…

And there are others, but it seems like they are all from out of the area, and just ships the equipment to the address mentioned, so you would want to contact the Hotel you are staying at and make sure they know the package is coming.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice re Trip to San Francisco

Thank you

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice re Trip to San Francisco

UCSF is one of the premier hospital, colleges and medical research centers in the US and this is their link

ucsfhealth.org/education/… and they would be the best to help answer questions

Now for rentals,

apria.com/wps/…travel-support-and-services

oxygenconcentratorinc.com/oxygenrentals/sanf…

rentittoday.com/medical-equipment-rentals/Sa…

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,918 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice re Trip to San Francisco

We use Apria for my dad's ventilation needs, and they are very prompt and have good customer service. Most hotels would receive the package for you in advance of your stay.

As tourists, we have always found plenty of places that made us happy to eat at, near or at Fisherman's Wharf and we were not afraid to have snacks on Pier 39 (yes, it's a tourist mecca...but you'll be tourists).

Someone will come along and help you with the surprise meal idea. I'm interested to hear what people say in both categories (Chinese and local), if they could only pick one.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice re Trip to San Francisco

What neighborhood does your son live in? Perhaps something in his neighborhood would be fun.

Save your money and don't eat at Fisherman's Wharf (although I will say the Happy Hour Burger at McCormick & Kuleto's at Ghirardelli isn't bad). It's a short ways on foot or the 30-Stockton bus up Columbus to North Beach with many excellent options. In that area I like Contadina, Ideale, Original Joe's, Park Tavern but there are lots of options.

Edited: 03 September 2013, 22:48
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice re Trip to San Francisco

>>>>>Someone will come along and help you with the surprise meal idea. I'm interested to hear what people say in both categories (Chinese and local), if they could only pick one.

Le Biscuit -- Perhaps you may also want to read the TQ on chinese food -- We've taken the collective feedback of the forum and made that list.

As far as any food goes, Chinese is SF has some many variations so it may help if someone reads that list and comes back with questions.

Local food is such a personal decision. If we could get hints of what type of food, price range, area or what the OP's son likes or does not like we can help and will be happy to help but other than that it is just throwing out names --

Edited: 03 September 2013, 22:52
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,518 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice re Trip to San Francisco

Apria (650) 588-9744 will deliver to your hotel, as will ITC (800) 661-4907. They may need a prescription from her doctor, and if she needs a nebulizer for medication, make sure to mention that as it is a separate item.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice re Trip to San Francisco

Where does her brother stay? Sunset? Richmond? Do you want a special meal in his neighborhood or downtown? Will you be driving?

BTW, will she need concentrator for the plane?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,949 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice re Trip to San Francisco

Good point about the prescription Susan. As OP is from the UK, there may be additional issues with the prescribing physician being from abroad. But Apria is a national vendor so must be used to these requests. Paul - not sure when you are traveling but I would call them ASAP to figure out the prescription issue.