We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

America's cup tickets

Palisade, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
America's cup tickets

Should I buy tickets to sit in the bleachers at marina green in advance or just wait until I get there?

Going to be there this weekend. I saw $165 tickets online for $50 but no refund if there is a cancellation. Thinking I might be able to pick up some tickets there at a better price.

What do you think?

Rancho Cucamonga
Level Contributor
8,694 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: America's cup tickets

I don't know, $50 for $160 ticket? That seems like a great deal!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: America's cup tickets

i say, walk up to the shore and see it for free. search the threads and you'll find lots of thoughts and places to stand, bring something to sit on.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: America's cup tickets

Agree with Rachel. I went to a Louis Vuitton Cup race and the bleachers weren't even filled - they were kind of uncomfortable - and prices for anything to eat and drink were crazy high. And there is standing room directly in front of the bleachers. This is all the race side viewing I'm talking about - there's an entirely different area to see the finish line - depends on which is more important to you. It's a little nuts - you either watch the bulk of the race, or you watch the finish.

Frankly, I think this whole thing has been a big flop. It's like soccer - Americans just don't care that much. And with the Oracle team getting caught cheating (what do they think this is, baseball?) - it really makes me hope we lose this go around.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: America's cup tickets

To elaborate on the high prices - a 6oz glass of average wine, served in a plastic cup was $12 - and the guy who poured it asked to keep the change.

Bottled water is not available - you need to purchase a reusable container and use a water filling station.

Also note that there is a grandstand East and grandstand West. East is nicer.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
15,462 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: America's cup tickets

Also note that there are no bleachers at the finish line (Pier 27/29), you will have to stand. It wasn't that crowded for the Vuitton Cup, but who knows for the AC.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: America's cup tickets

weren't they suppose to use that concert arena? watch the races on the screen?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
15,462 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: America's cup tickets

Yes, there are lots of big screens around Pier 27/29 showing the race; although I'm not sure there is one at the concert venue.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: America's cup tickets

Just heard a story on the news - sounds like the America's Cup take is $7MM below what was expected. There will likely be lots of people out enjoying our warm weather this weekend.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,625 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: America's cup tickets

The races are much more fun to watch on the big screens that are setup so you feel you are "part" of the action from the on-board cameras than just seeing them just move in the water and they do move fast.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
25,518 posts
5,666 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: America's cup tickets

Belomiser - ah - have you ever stepped out and seen the races. We were on the Potomac and had a great positon on the bay and the boats were so close and amazing wine and gourmet food also included.

So much better than our first (but also great experience) at the Marina Greens. This week-end we will be on the 50 yard line for the race on the Jeremiah O'brien. Great location to see the boats on the bay.

yes - the big screens is one way but in no way the best.....having experienced various ways to see the race this summer.

For Marina Green, I would just go "free" - we did that; there was a big group; there was big screen TV there to let you see the action on the boats as well....

I would not pay additional for the grand stands. I would get there early - we parked at the parking lot by the Greens Restaurant (large lot) and just walked over to Marina Greens. We had brunch before at Greens restaurant and that was fun too.

The exhibits at the marina Green area are fun to see....