We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Parking Near Pier 33 - America's Cup Week

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Public Parking Near Pier 33 - America's Cup Week

Trying to take the Alcatraz tour on Friday, September 13th (Friday the 13th...oh no!!). How much worse is public parking with America's Cup going on this week? Will be driving a car from SF airport area. Thanks!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Parking Near Pier 33 - America's Cup Week

My first question to you is why are you driving in SF? Are you staying in the city or merely passing through?

I noticed a lot of foot traffic in the Marina area yesterday -- the first day of racing. I imagine the Wharf area will be more clogged than usual but there is a large parking structure at Pier 39.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Parking Near Pier 33 - America's Cup Week

I'm staying near the SF airport for a few nights to tour the city. I have the Alcatraz tour booked for next Friday and I'm just trying to see how challenging it will be for me to park my rental car close by Pier 33 to catch the 10am ferry. I looked at 511.org but it seems like it will be a challenge to catch the numerous (at least 4?) transfers to get to the pier area. Thought I'd just drive and try to get lucky on parking. Thanks.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Parking Near Pier 33 - America's Cup Week

You would be much better off staying in the city and not renting a car at all. Have you already reserved your room near SFO? If so is it a cancelable reservation?

Parking will be $35 or more and traffic will likely be horrendous and in FW.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Parking Near Pier 33 - America's Cup Week

<<I'm staying near the SF airport for a few nights to tour the city.>>

Please reconsider this. Staying 15 miles away from the city is not the best way to experience SF.

Read this and reconsider: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k664267…

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Parking Near Pier 33 - America's Cup Week

I have great "parking karma".

I always manage to find spots in cities that are difficult like NYC or San Francisco.

I would NEVER attempt to "get lucky" with a parking spot in San Francisco ,near Pier 33 on America's Cup Weekend!!! It is really foolish to even try that!!

Stay IN the city and not by the airport!

Edited: 09 September 2013, 00:10
Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Parking Near Pier 33 - America's Cup Week

I just reread your second post. I didn't realize you were travelling this Friday. If its too late to change your hotel then you may want to drive to either the San Bruno or Daly City BART station and take the train from there to the Embarcadero station. Then you can either walk or take a taxi to your destination.

I would still try to stay in the city if you can make it work. It's the only way to experience the city and it would make life much simpler.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Parking Near Pier 33 - America's Cup Week

well, they don't race on friday, but there is a 11:30 super yacht cup.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,544 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Parking Near Pier 33 - America's Cup Week

Street parking won't work, as it's limited to 2 hours, so not long enough for your Alcatraz visit. The Pier 39 garage is $8/hour. A taxi from the Embarcadero BART station would be about $8 each way.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Parking Near Pier 33 - America's Cup Week

Her's a site that may help you locate parking.

http://www.bestparking.com/

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Parking Near Pier 33 - America's Cup Week

TripJunky above has the best advice if you are going to drive. As SFSusan says, it's not a real America's Cup race day - and it's a Friday.

I don't think you'll have too much trouble - just pick one or two garages in case one is full. And give yourself plenty of time.

If you were coming on a Saturday - likely sunny and crowded - I'd be more wary, but Friday shouldn't be a big deal.