We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to spend in Presidio area?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How long to spend in Presidio area?

I was wondering about the Presido area. How long do people recommend we spend site seeing in that area? The one spot I'd like to go to for-sure is the Golden Gate bridge, but besides that, I'm not sure what else to check out. Maybe check out bakers beach along the way?

I plan to walk up from the Golden Gate Park area. Essentially afterwards, I was hoping to take the free downtown shuttle unless there are other must see sites in the Presido park area? Otherwise, would spending a morning there be sufficient?

Thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to spend in Presidio area?

Always a good idea to first peruse the Top Questions because the section on what to see and do in SF has this link from DE Ramblin Sal

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k639671…

It describes a walk in that area. Sure spending a morning there will be fine but it all depends on how much you want to walk and what you want to see. It will take you about 40 or so minutes to get there plus about the same to get back to say Union Square area. Now walking from the Golden Gate Park area may be a lot more than what most do. Others go to Landsend and then walk the coastal trail to GG Bridge. That is one option plus you can do the hike around the presidio. That would take a lot more time for most people with breaks

Edited: 09 September 2013, 17:01
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to spend in Presidio area?

It's quite a walk from GG Park to the Presidio and GG Bridge. I would suggest catching the 28-19th Ave bridge at Park Presidio and Fulton (just outside the Park) to the GG Bridge. From there you can walk down to Crissy Field. The walk from the GG Bridge to the east end of Crissy is half an hour or so.

Here's a thread with a nice walk from the east end of Crissy up through the Presidio and back to the main post: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k639671…

The Presidio is larger than GG Park and there are a lot of trails which run through it. Here's a link to a lot of info on hikes in the Presidio and trail maps: presidio.gov/explore/….Ui3vob7n_IV

Be aware that the Presidio Downtown shuttle is available to those who do not live/work in the Presidio only during mid-day time. At rush hours (beginning at 4:30) a pass is required to board the shuttle. Further the shuttle goes to the Financial District, not Union Square. (A Muni Passport will get you on the shuttle at rush hour.)

A few short blocks from the Lombard gate is the 30-Stockton bus at Divis and Chestnut which goes to Union Square.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to spend in Presidio area?

There is a lot to see in the area depending on what your interests are.

There is Fort Point under the GGB. It is a Civil War era fort.

There are walking tours of the Presidio; see www.cityguides.com

Lucasfilm and ILM Studios are there.

Disney Family Museum, a must for the Disney fan.

4. Re: How long to spend in Presidio area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 06:21