We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fact or Fiction? Test Your SF Knowledge!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Fact or Fiction? Test Your SF Knowledge!

A fun one from SFGate: …sfgate.com/stew/…15187-1

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,301 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fact or Fiction? Test Your SF Knowledge!

so we should stop saying that SF is 7x7 sq miles ?

Oh no. Back to basics now !!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,191 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fact or Fiction? Test Your SF Knowledge!

I swear I watched an episode of Cities of the Underworld on the History Channel that was all about the secret tunnels under Chinatown.

laughingsquid.com/john-law-on-the-history-ch…

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,884 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fact or Fiction? Test Your SF Knowledge!

Well, if you assume the city is square (which it isn't), it would work out to be 6.8330081 miles x 6.8330081 miles.

Me, I'm going to keep on saying 7 x 7. I can live with being off by less than 2/10ths of mile (~2.5%). As they say, close enough for government work.

That's my 2.4439%,

hlo

Dartmouth, Nova...
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fact or Fiction? Test Your SF Knowledge!

Thanks for the post ramblinsal....we are going on our first trip to SF in Nov. I have learned a few cool tidbits! Love it!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fact or Fiction? Test Your SF Knowledge!

Note that in one case, what a restaurant claims is treated as fact.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,608 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fact or Fiction? Test Your SF Knowledge!

Black and yellow striped bridge !!!

49 sq. miles sounds better___I'll stick with that.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fact or Fiction? Test Your SF Knowledge!

Nice! I never thought to question 49 miles or not – simply accepted as fact which if we think about it is a bit too convenient. Should have looked into that one. Never crossed my mind to imagine Fortune Cookies emerged in San Francisco.

Long ago I’d give tours to friends and friend’s friends repeating the Hose Nozzle Design story about Coit Tower. But somewhere along the way while doing some research learned it’s another urban legend. Same with Irish Coffee and Mark Twain’s famous quote he never made. Knew about Tom Sawyer, Diego Rivera and the other stuff some of which I can remember.

I’m with sfimpoter, I swear I’ve learned about underground something in China Town, maybe not technically long enough to be tunnels. It’s almost odd there are none. Soon there will be, right?

sf
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fact or Fiction? Test Your SF Knowledge!

Leaver it to the Clueless "Comical" to have a Fact or Fiction and not actually ask any questions, I guess you have to be a Mind Reader.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,712 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fact or Fiction? Test Your SF Knowledge!

There is a street called Snake Alley in Burlington, Iowa, which that city claims to be the world’s crookedest. Like Lombard, it dates from the 1890s and is lined with uppity homes and fine old trees. The surface is not cobblestones, but bricks resembling those used in building construction (flat and unglazed). I checked it out when I was in Burlington, and I went up and drove down twice. Without being able to compare it with Lombard side by side, I concluded that it would take a surveyor to declare a champion.

At least we can pretty clearly claim Green Goddess salad dressing, which was created by a chef at the Palace Hotel. Has anyone seen Green Goddess lately, on a restaurant menu or in a bottle?

There may not have been tunnels under Chinatown, but there were spaces under many of the gin mills, opium dens, and bordellos where shanghaiing of sailors was done. Many an unlucky soul over-imbibed, perhaps received an “assist” with a Mickey Finn, passed out and was dropped through a trapdoor in the floor. In some cases, it was a cellar below. In others, because the Barbary Coast saloon and red light district was on the Bay shore, the buildings stood on pilings over the water and abductors waited below in rowboats. These abductors were a kind of labor contractor, who provided crews for merchant ship captains who needed bodies and weren't too fussy about where they came from. Many ships lost their entire crews when they docked in San Francisco Bay in the years after the 1849 gold discovery and everyone deserted to head for the Mother Lode. The unfortunate inebriate woke up as an ordinary seaman on a vessel out in the Pacific, often bound for Shanghai.

Speaking of bordellos, Sally Stanford may have been the first self-identified madam to become a mayor, and she brought a most appropriate set of professional qualifications to city politics. Many Bay Area residents would take the position that this practice did not begin with Sally Stanford and has never ended, but that she was the only politician honest enough to identify her real occupation.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fact or Fiction? Test Your SF Knowledge!

SFCityGuy, yeah, I used to believe the fire nozzle thing myself. However, Coit Tower does have the same architect at City Hall, War Memorial Opera House, Veteran's Building and Temple Emanuel. (Arthur Brown)