We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most affordable place to stay for 49ers game?

Washingotn D.C.
11 posts
Save Topic
Most affordable place to stay for 49ers game?

So I live in LA, and already found a commuter bus for affordable round trip travel (Megabus) and need an affordable place to stay. A few questions:

1. Where should I get dropped off? (Megabus destinations from LA to Bay area end in either SF DTSF CalTran Station or SJ Diridon Station)

2. Where should I stay, based on the answer to #1?

2. How affordable/convenient public transportation from selected hotel to Candlestick?

Thanks!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most affordable place to stay for 49ers game?

What's your budget? "Affordable" means different things to different people. There are thousands of real world reviews on this same site. Use the options to search for lodging that's "affordable" to you.

What else do you want to do in addition to seeing the 49ers? Personally I'd choose San Francisco over San Jose.

Use Google or 511.org to determine how to get to where you want to go from wherever you'll be staying.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most affordable place to stay for 49ers game?

If you stay in SF there are Muni express buses to Candlestick for $2 each way. And more than likely, based on the SF hotel you chose, you'll be within walking distance of shops, bars and restaurants. Finally SF to Candlestick is 30-45 minutes in traffic. It's an hour plus from San Jose.

Take a look at the Top Questions (right side of screen on full TA site, not the mobile app) and check out the one that references budget lodging. There is an excellent thread linked there with a great list of budget hotels (that pass the clean, safe test) around the Union Square area. From CalTrain station to Union Square is an easy Metro ride (another $2) from King and Townsend to Powell St.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,972 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most affordable place to stay for 49ers game?

There is a also a top question on the right side or via post 2 on the SF forum that has info on how to get to Candlestick park.

Getting to Candlestick Park for the SF 49ers game (Added Sept 13)

Washingotn D.C.
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Most affordable place to stay for 49ers game?

Affordable means i am strictly commuting to the Bay area from LA strictly to watch the game live. No need for sightseeing, great eats, or night life activities. It's a sports "business trip", more or less.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most affordable place to stay for 49ers game?

Yeah, BUT. This is a very expensive time to stay in a hotel in San Francisco, so it doesn't matter that you just want a bed. The America's Cup and mucho conventions are filling up the rooms and the prices in even the most modest hotels reflect that.

Do as belomister and RamblinSal suggested and look at the top questions on the right of the screen (unless you are on a mobile where it doesn't show)..

I think these are your relevant ones........

>>Hotels: Where to Stay When Visiting San Francisco (NEW July 2013)

Budget Hotels and Hotels with Parking (Updated May 2013)<<

I was looking at hotel prices today for a friend and was astounded that the most modest were charging $200 plus.

Good luck.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most affordable place to stay for 49ers game?

we just had a post of hotels/motels near the cow palace on geneva. not a place we'd recommend for our readers. perhaps this would be an exception? you can check out the prices and you might be able to walk if you deem so. 2-3 mile walk.

sf
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Most affordable place to stay for 49ers game?

You're better off looking for a hotel/motel in South SF or San Bruno, as there are quite a few on El Camino Real that are reasonably priced, instead of the Daly City area near the Cow Palace, which is very marginal.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,972 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most affordable place to stay for 49ers game?

If you read the two links under the TOP QUESTIONS for getting to the 49ers game, one of the posts talks about a hotel near SFO which was the pickup and drop off place for the candlestick bus.

We try and put info in Top Questions to help people as it is the collective wisdom of locals and visitors so please take time to READ them

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most affordable place to stay for 49ers game?

The OP is taking the Megabus to either SF or SJ CalTrain station. I suppose the SFO Holiday Inn is possible from there but it would mean CalTrain to Millbrae, BART to the airport and an airport shuttle from there. Sounds like a hassle.

That is why I suggested a budget hotel in SF and Muni's $2 Candlestick Express. But the OP didn't seem to like that idea.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most affordable place to stay for 49ers game?

OK, you mention two options for the Megabus, so I look at that combination, especially if you are more interested in pricing than location.

transitunlimited.org/San_Jose_Diridon_Station

Plenty of Hotels/Motels near the station.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g33020-San_Jose_Calif…

I like the fact that the TA Hotel Review pages will now take your dates, and then you can search for price, low to high. Just make sure you read the reviews and know the location so you get something decent and good for public transit.

Then use the San Francisco Football Bus from one of the VTA stations in San Jose (860 Grey Route)

sanfranciscofootballbus.com/choose_boarding_…

So that is the alternative option.

So price everything out, including transit to the game and the Hotel costs, and decide what is best for you.