We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in SF for someone who has already done a lot...

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Things to do in SF for someone who has already done a lot...

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions on NEW things to do / neighborhoods to visit during one full day in SF. I've visited a few times before, and have done quite a bit in those visits.

Things I have already done on previous trips...

-Fisherman's Wharf / Pier 39

-Shopping in Union Square

-Alcatraz

-Academy of Science

-Exploratorium

-Ghirardelli Square

-Biked the GG bridge and looked around in Sausalito

-Ride the cable cars

-Checked out the painted ladies

-Chinatown

-Little Italy

-Lombard Street

-Aquarium

I'd like to check out the market (and have lunch at Slanted Door) at the Ferry Building for sure. There are no Giants or 49ers games happening that day. Also might check out a bit of the America's Cup festivities, maybe go to the top of Coit Tower...? Aside from that I am looking for suggestions. Thanks!

san mateo CA
Level Contributor
434 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in SF for someone who has already done a lot...

I might suggest a walk from the 16th St. BART station to 24th St. then down 24th to Potrero. Or perhaps a walk to the top of Twin Peaks, only interesting on a clear day. Perhaps walk the Filbert steps and check out the view from Coit tower. With the possible exception of the Outer Sunset the City is a wonderful place to walk in. When I lived there I was never bored by a day long walk.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,846 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in SF for someone who has already done a lot...

See if any of the Cityguides tours appeal to you.

www.sfcityguides.org

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in SF for someone who has already done a lot...

Check the link for "neighborhoods". This is the best thing you can do to while away a day and learn more about the City.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,347 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in SF for someone who has already done a lot...

A few semi-random ideas regarding things that *aren't* on your list:

1. Neighborhood walks, some of which offer more than "just" the neighborhood atmosphere. Some closer to downtown (beyond those already mentioned) include: Japantown, Noe Valley, Hayes Valley, Castro; some that are a little further out: Haight/Cole Valley, Inner Sunset, & Richmond, and West Portal. By no means is this list complete, I just chose some that are a little off the beaten path (okay, Haight & Castro probably doesn't qualify for that.)

2. Other Museums? Asian Art, De Young, Legion of Honor to name just a few. Also, the Exploratorium is (probably) in new digs since you were last there.

3. Other things in GG Park. Arboretum, Stow Lake, Conservatory of Flowers, Buffalo Paddock, just wandering around, etc.

4. Other "outdoors" type stuff. Angel Island, Presidio, Baker Beach, Sutro Bath, and . . . .

And, if you feel you know your way around SF, you can do what I used to do occasionally when I lived in SF. Just hop on the next MUNI bus and see where it takes you; get off whenever something catches your eye. (A minimal amount of planning will ensure you don't end up somewhere you don't want to be.)

Anyway, there's a few semi-random ideas; hope they help,

hlo

Edited: 12 September 2013, 18:45
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in SF for someone who has already done a lot...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone...all very helpful.

The Filbert steps to Coit Tower sounds like something I'd definitely like to do, and the other tours/neighborhoods will be of good use as well.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in SF for someone who has already done a lot...

The Mission District- Walk around and visit the murals at Balmy Alley and check out Dolores Park, Mexican food, gourmet ice cream (Bi-Rite, Humphrey Slocombe), bakeries (Craftsman and Wolves, Tartine).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in SF for someone who has already done a lot...

Landsend and the Presidio to go with the things in #4 that HLO talked about Baker Beach etc.

I think a visit to Angel Island (via Tiburon) is a great idea. They have scooter tours or segway tours which are really fun or you can hike and walk around. I would not do the tram tour personally -- too slow and boring

The Mission as mentioned will be fun.

Randall Museum or just Corona Heights is a great place that few visitors go to.

Edited: 12 September 2013, 19:53
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in SF for someone who has already done a lot...

If you are interested in Baseball and Football, did you check the schedules for the Oakland A's and Raiders?

It is easy to get to the Stadium from San Francisco, just take the BART transit system to Oakland, the station is right next to the Stadium.

If you are coming in early October, the A's should have a couple (plus or minus) Baseball Playoff games being played, but the dates won't be known until the end of the month.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,562 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in SF for someone who has already done a lot...

Travel to Church & Market either via the F-line streetcar, or one of the subway lines (K, L, M, J) - transfer to the 37 Corbett, Inbound, headed up 14th Street. Get off at Buena Vista Park. Walk some of the trails. Notice that the gutters are constructed using old tombstones from graveyards that were "moved' to Colma around the turn of the Century.

Check out the views as you walk.

As you circle the park on Buena Vista Avenue, check out 737. This is the Spreckle's mansion (nephew of the sugar baron) and the house where Jack London wrote White Fang while renting a room.

As you leave the park, check out 45 Upper Terrace, a former ambassador's residence. It's constructed of bricks from the rubble of the great earthquake. sfgate.com/bayarea/…photo-5055341

As you make your way towards Corona Heights, to take in the view, don't miss 404 Roosevelt Way, former home of '20s movie icon Rudolph Valentino.

Make your way around Corona Heights and then down the North Slope. It's a relatively easy hike with some great views. Then work your way down toward the Castro to grab a bite to eat at any of the great restaurants in the area. Starbelly, Fable, Catch, or any others.

Then grab the subway at Castro - or the F-line streetcar - and easily get back to wherever you started.

Map of route: http://goo.gl/maps/Jg6He

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in SF for someone who has already done a lot...

The OP wrote

>>>Also might check out a bit of the America's Cup festivities, maybe go to the top of Coit Tower...?

The poster from Tustin wrote

>>>If you are coming in early October, the....

I will assume based on that info in the original post, that the OP is coming this month as the America's cup finishes in September.

Going to the A's game is a wonderful suggestion though.