We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travis Air Force Base to San Francisco 27-28 Sep 2013

Roy, Utah
2 posts
Save Topic
Travis Air Force Base to San Francisco 27-28 Sep 2013

I am goint to be staying at Travis AFB as our base. We will be traveling into SF and Napa to do things in the area.

I am bringing 2 friends who are exchange students from Africa and 1 from New Jersey who have never been to the area.

We are all adults, so adult activities would be fine, maybe not little children stuff though.

I have not been to the bay area in years. Since our visit days will be on a Fri-Sat, should we do Napa, St. Helena wine tastings on Fri and SF on Sat?

I would prefer not to drive. Any suggestions?

Thank You

Cyndee and Company

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travis Air Force Base to San Francisco 27-28 Sep 2013

First thing first, you'll probably need to drive. When you are in SF you can take public transportation. In fact that's the prefer mode of travel in the city. But since you'll be commuting daily, it'll be very time consuming, unless there is daily bus service from Travis to SF.

Then to plan for things to do, take a look at some of the FAQ's on the right side of this page, esp. WHAT TO DO AND SEE IN SF.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travis Air Force Base to San Francisco 27-28 Sep 2013

Since Travis AFB is next to the city of Fairfield, you could use the Amtrak Capital Corridor train, and use the "SUI" station.

http://www.capitolcorridor.org/

amtrakcalifornia.com/index.cfm/…

And then connect to the BART system to get to the city of San Francisco.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travis Air Force Base to San Francisco 27-28 Sep 2013

Decades ago there was military transit from the Travis Passenger Terminal to the Oakland Army Terminal. I don’t think anything comparable exists. Check with the folk at the Passenger Terminal; I expect they got the options nailed.

If you don’t get a car, I think, basically, you are looking at the FAST 90 – an acronym for Fairfield And Suisun Transit, not a descriptive word meaning speed – to the El Cerrito del Norte BART station. Roughly, I’d budget two hours each way even if you know the schedules and plan accordingly.

I don’t get trying to visit Napa and San Francisco from Travis with only two days. Your guests will come away with something akin to a bicycle messenger’s view of the Bay Area world.

If I were bringing friends to Travis, I might rent a car to tour Napa, Sonoma, and part of Marin over the course of two days – if budget were an issue, maybe spending a night in Santa Rosa at an affordable hotel or motel. You could visit some wineries, drive through some lovely vineyards, make it out to the coast, visit Point Reyes and the Marin Headlands, viewing San Francisco while not driving in to the City, and return to Travis. Lots of driving but right for some people.

Or, I might plan two days of activities in San Francisco. If it’s to be transit, so be it. I’d use BART – maybe checking out that ferry service from the North Bay for one of the trips approaching San Francisco. Plan for early and energetic starts. Tell us your guest’s interests. There are museums. Maybe they’d enjoy bike rides along the Bay, even across the Golden Gate Bridge returning to the City aboard another ferry is possible. Maybe they’d like to rollerblade in Golden Gate Park. There’s good food, spectacular views, cable car rides, wonderful walking tours, and tons of cafes and bars for rest stops.

Staying out at Travis, I think you will not be able to plan to sample night life in San Francisco.

I think you want to choose one or the other.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,761 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travis Air Force Base to San Francisco 27-28 Sep 2013

Well said SF City guy. Just getting from the base to SF will be two hours or so each way so you'll spend 4 hours of the day going back and forth. Now Napa et al, I am sure there is Vine transit

ridethevine.com/new-bus-service-fairfieldsui…

But once you get there you would have to get a tour or it will be hard to visit the wineries you want.

You may want to just stay overnight in SF and spend two days here to see the area and perhaps go to a wine bar (not the same thing as a vineyard) but you get to taste local wines.

Edited: 12 September 2013, 20:02
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travis Air Force Base to San Francisco 27-28 Sep 2013

Even if they're paying you to stay at Travis ... find a budget alternative to stay in the city and wine country (Santa Rosa is a good suggestion, check Ronhert Park also). Driving from Travis into the city is horrific and it sounds like the public transit options are hugely long.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travis Air Force Base to San Francisco 27-28 Sep 2013

Travis AFB is not convenient to Napa or San Francisco. There is transit service from nearby Fairfield to both Napa and SF, but the bus to Napa only gets you to town (not to the wineries) and the bus to El Cerrito del Norte BART Station (where you transfer to BART to reach SF) is less convenient and more expensive for a group than just driving there. (BTW, use the bus--Amtrak is a complete waste of your time.)

As others have suggested, you should pick one destination or the other. Also, you really should stay in SF if you visit it. Travis is closer to Wine Country, but try relocating there anyway. Don't bother with Santa Rosa or Rohnert Park if it comes down to it--you might as well stay at Travis at that point.

If you pick SF and decide to commute, you can drive to Vallejo and catch the ferry. Alternatively, you can drive to a BART station and take BART into SF. Weekday parking at BART stations is a challenge and advance reservations are strongly recommended. Weekend parking is easy. El Cerrito del Norte and Pleasant Hill stations are most ideal, but North Concord, Walnut Creek, and El Cerrito Plaza also work in a pinch. FYI, parking at BART stations is free on weekends.

If you pick Wine Country, consider Napa Valley one day and Sonoma on the other day. Alternatively, you could go to Napa Valley one day and enjoy the scenery of West Marin (Pt. Reyes, Muir Woods, Marin Headlands, etc.) on the other.

Edited: 12 September 2013, 23:10
Roy, Utah
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travis Air Force Base to San Francisco 27-28 Sep 2013

thank you'll. So in total there will be six people. My brother, our niece and our 3 new friends. I tried to find inexpensive lodging but we would need at least 2rooms and 4 adults in a room is insane. On Travis, I have a 3 bdrm for $77 per night. Our niece is also a college student so for all intent and purposes, they don't have lots to splurge on. Luckily the scenery is beautiful, I was in Santa Rosa in April for a funeral. The consensus is everyone would like Alcatraz and maybe a tour about the city. Someone posted about wine bars. My bro and I love love love wine, my niece vodka and the rest beer.Any thoughts. Is there a good tour that gives you a taste of SF. I like to do a shotgun trip, hit everything, find what I need to come back for and plan another trip to savor the place. We know that is will be hectic. I was supposed to take my parents and two aunt to San Jose for the football game against Utah State, 3 cousins play for them. But my aunts daughter is really sick and recovering and her mom doesn't want to travel that far. So for just a football game it would have been perfect. But when I went to cancel, my family said road trip. thank you for all the advice and suggestions.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travis Air Force Base to San Francisco 27-28 Sep 2013

I presume you have someone in the Military, so I would contact the Travis AFB MWR group and see what they say about tours and transit, they should know the best.

Alas, my cousin is currently in transit to Travis, otherwise I would ask her.

Have a wonderful trip.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travis Air Force Base to San Francisco 27-28 Sep 2013

It's too bad you can't arrange someplace to stay overnight in San Francisco since it would give you about 4 hours extra time that you weren't commuting and you might be able to walk around or see some night life on the night you stayed over.

At $77 a night for a place to sleep for all those people, you can't approach those rates anywhere I know of in San Francisco. The least expensive you would probably find would be a hostel and they're sometimes priced $25 to $45 per person. Some have rooms with various numbers of beds in them and attached bathrooms. It might be late to find much vacancy in the more desirable rooms, but maybe worth checking. Personally I might consider that option, even though it wouldn't be fancy, rather than commuting 2 hours back to a place to sleep and another 2 hours back in the morning, again.

Remember that paying for bus and BART fares will not be free, either. BART is $4.10 per person each direction from El Cerrito, so if you take it 2 extra times (rather than staying overnight) that's 6 people x 2 trips x $4.10 or $49.20 in BART fares. I'm not sure what the bus costs, but it will cost you extra, too.

Remember to calculate your commuting costs into your calculations since you're going to have to pay those costs and also pay with a lot of extra time to get to the place you want to visit each day.

I also think with only two days you don't really have time to do both Napa and San Francisco and see much.

Stafford, Virginia
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travis Air Force Base to San Francisco 27-28 Sep 2013

don't forget there is Moffett Navy Lodge https://www.navy-lodge.com the closest Navy DOD Lodge to San Francisco for actual govt type lodging and is $77/nt. You could maybe stay there then take public transit into San Francisco?? Don't forget to check on govt rates at hotels i.e. Courtyard in Vallejo has $80/nt govt rate from there I am driving the 20-30 min into Napa.

If you all are in Napa maybe I will run into you as those are the dates I will be there as well :)

Cheers and I hope you all have a great time!