We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

University freshman week- existence?

Level Contributor
89 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
University freshman week- existence?

Hi,

A few of us young students are arriving in SF this week. Back here in Ireland, it's currently "freshers" week whereby all students courses resume at university, and it's pretty crazy, a lot of partying and nights out etc with having moved into their new student housing.

What I'm asking is, does this exist or is it a culture in SF? I believe you call them "freshman"? What dates etc do they return to college and is there a party scene !

I don't really know where else to ask, sorry if this is very irrelevant on the message board,

Thank you

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: University freshman week- existence?

Nope, it doesn't really. I think because the start date varies widely between universities here, and so the culture doesn't really exist. Another reason may be that SF isn't really a college town where the bars are dominated by students. Actually the fact that legal drinking age is 21 might also be another reason.

Edited: 16 September 2013, 17:46
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: University freshman week- existence?

well the two large universities in the Bay Area are in Berkeley and in Stanford. There are other schools in SF like UCSF and City college and SF State and USF and each college depending on whether it is a Semester system or a Quarter system has different start and end dates . For example I know the Stanford freshman are out camping before school starts. SF State started classes the last week of August.

I don't know what age you are but drinking age here is 21 and freshman are under that drinking age. So parties here legally are different but SF is not a campus town. It is a city with schools.

Edited: 16 September 2013, 17:53
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,705 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: University freshman week- existence?

Add to the above that most freshman cannot legally enter bars in California (drinking age is 21) and . . . .

You may see some elevated student populations for a week or two before the workload ramps up in some of neighborhood bars around the various universities (such as the UCSF & the Inner Sunset), but it's nothing really dramatic. Again, partly because not every university is on the same calendar.

Now, I live in a small city with a large university and, even thought the freshman can't drink here either, you seem *lots* in the bars for a few weekends just before & right after the semester starts.

hlo

Okay, pass me the tiara (got distracted after I started it).

Edited: 16 September 2013, 18:01
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: University freshman week- existence?

I think the previous thread you were asking this question on offered a lot of good advice. What you are looking for, really doesn't exist in the city of San Francisco proper. If you are desperate to go to a college party, your best bet is to troll the environs of UC Berkeley across the Bay, you'll have a much better chance out there. Also their bars are where you'll find more college-aged kids. As everyone has pointed out though, you'll only find 21 and up at the bars as freshmen are not drinking age. At private house parties, well, let's just say, anything goes........... as I mentioned in the previous thread, San Francisco is not a college town.

5. Re: University freshman week- existence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 06:21