We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why San Francisco Hotels are so expensive in October?

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
71 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Why San Francisco Hotels are so expensive in October?

I would appreciate if anyone can shed some light as to why San Francisco Hotels are so expensive during the month of October?

I am travelling to San Francisco mid October. Booked a 4 star Hotel near Union square that is costing me $355 usd a night. If I were to travel this next weekend in Sept, The same hotel would cost me $189 a night. It´s such a huge disparity between price rates!!!

During October, even 3 star hotels, which are not even rated good by travelers, are costing bewtween $279- $310 usd plus taxes.

What is the deal with October? Is there a an event that I am not aware of?

I would like to know just out of curiosity.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why San Francisco Hotels are so expensive in October?

16,000 Anesthesiologists show up. With fewer than 35,000 hotel rooms in the city, a convention that size puts pressure on room rates.

portal.sanfrancisco.travel/calendar_public/

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
71 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why San Francisco Hotels are so expensive in October?

Thank u.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,761 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why San Francisco Hotels are so expensive in October?

I cannot confirm or deny this but I think the price of the hotel room includes your choice of cocktail or epidural from one of those doctors

I heard when the dentists come to town, they give you a shot of laughing gas

Is that true ?

Putting the above aside, to the OP. October brings some of the best weather to SF and besides the conferences we have marathons and fleet week It is a great time to come and be in SF and we suggest visitors book their hotel rooms months in advance

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why San Francisco Hotels are so expensive in October?

If you have a cancelable reservation, you can always keep looking to see if you might find something less expensive. As others have mentioned, there are many events in October, so the exact dates make a difference as there are different events each week. Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival is another one in October besides the ones already mentioned. You might not find much cheaper, but you might get lucky, who knows.

I'd say "normal" 4-star hotel rates in San Francisco are usually over $200 a night. But normal varies by time of year. While autumn is "shoulder season" many places with slightly lower rates, in San Francisco September and October can still be quite high and often higher than summer, which is high season many places.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why San Francisco Hotels are so expensive in October?

please read the top questions to the right---> to help you find cheaper accommodations, area to stay, maps, etc. if you're coming 10-13, it's fleet week. lots of people in town and around Fisherman's Wharf, will be busy.

6. Re: Why San Francisco Hotels are so expensive in October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2014, 05:18