We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AFFORDABLE jewelry shopping

Regina, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
AFFORDABLE jewelry shopping

I am looking for AFFORDABLE gift/jewelry shopping. My wife's birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and all of the stores where I'm staying in the Union Square area seem to be really premium priced. Excellent quality, high end, but I can't afford that.

Suggestions about an area that I can taxi to that would have nice gifts/jewelry (not clothing) that would be of a quality and price that "real people" can afford. Yellow gold is her preference. I don't mind paying hundreds of dollars for the right thing, but can't afford the premium that the high-end name stores sell.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AFFORDABLE jewelry shopping

Try the Ross store on 799 Market Street. I don't know if they sell real gold jewelry, but certainly custom jewelry. You may also want to look into Macy's.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,369 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AFFORDABLE jewelry shopping

Chestnut street and Union Street (not square) have shops you may want to check out.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AFFORDABLE jewelry shopping

You are not going to find anything decent at Ross. At best would be10K gold -- which is trash.

There is a lot of variety to the price of jewelry. Some has to do with the quality of the setting (10K, 14K, 18K etc). With yellow gold, never go under 14K. Then much has to do with the quality of the stone(s). If this is for earrings then the quality of the stone is not so important ... as my jeweler said "no one is going to yank your ear over their plate to look at the stone" ... which they would do with a ring. Then there is the design of the setting. The more customized the design the more you'll pay for it. If it's a rather mass produced design, the less it will be ... even if good quality material.

As with everything in life, the more you know and understand what it is you want, how much you can pay and what trade offs you're willing to make ... the more informed customer you'll be.

Not to mention that the price of gold has sky rocketed over the past few years. So a few hundred dollars does not go as far as it used it.

I do my buying through someone who specializes in estate jewelry (much because I prefer antique designs). But these folks know their business as well. Certainly better than someone at a shopping mall jewelry store.

What type of piece are you looking for?

Edited: 19 September 2013, 01:59
Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: AFFORDABLE jewelry shopping

There is a Zales in Daley city. About 11 miles away. They are a large chain. Not the most elegant but their prices are aimed at "real people". Check their website for coupons and deals.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,737 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AFFORDABLE jewelry shopping

Maybe look into the Pandora shop in the Westfield Shopping Center, by Union Square. They have some decent things and some items which are only sold in SF, like Cable Car charms or Golden Gate pendants.

Dr. Z.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AFFORDABLE jewelry shopping

Affordable jewelry doesn't include anything from Ross, in my book, but I'm unusual.

You need to state a budget and talk about what you're looking for. Many malls have good discount jewelers, but it depends whether you're looking for gold or silver or costume. I like local craftspeople who work with gold and silver, myself. I used to do more estate jewelry, but right now, want restored estate jewelry and not the actual estate stuff.

Local jewelers can usually beat Zale's, but only the domain of "standard design/lower quality stones." Local craftspeople may use unusual stones (say, tourmaline instead of diamonds) but produce a very well priced and beautiful product.

LA
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: AFFORDABLE jewelry shopping

Ross sells costume jewelry. Please don't think you are going to find anything of quality there for your wife.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AFFORDABLE jewelry shopping

Have you looked at the jewelry stores in Chinatown? A short walk or bus ride on the 30-Stockton. Lots of 18-24K yellow gold options and jade pieces. I would avoid the tourist shops on Grant and head towards Stockton for the shops local Chinese visit.

Have about Macy's? My mom has bought some decent quality gold and precious gem pieces when they have sales and coupons.

What is your budget in actual dollar amount?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AFFORDABLE jewelry shopping

if you show your passport at macy's you get a discount.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: AFFORDABLE jewelry shopping

There is the huge JewelryMart that's South of Market. Not sure how their retail prices compare but if you want to shop together that could be fun (but overwhelming). Are you looking for gemstones? The quality of the stone would have a big influence on the price but I think it pays to know what to look for to ensure the price matches the quality.