We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for a "genuine" Irish pub.

california
Level Contributor
175 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendation for a "genuine" Irish pub.

Have visitors coming to SF from NYC and they are fans of all things Irish. Looking for an Irish pub in SF where we can raise a pint and have some dinner. I have been to Foley's near Union Square, but am wondering if my visitors would find it too touristy? (I like it a lot myself though!) Any suggestions? Some place in Berkeley would be ok too. Thankls.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation for a "genuine" Irish pub.

What makes a pub "genuine", what is your criteria? My criteria is that it must be in Ireland to be called genuine.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation for a "genuine" Irish pub.

I suggest the Inner Richmond on Clement.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,665 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation for a "genuine" Irish pub.

The Chieftian perhaps on 5th. The Phoenix in the mission. Check reviews out please

Poster from Arizona Come again ?

Edited: 19 September 2013, 01:38
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation for a "genuine" Irish pub.

The Chinese Irish influence in the Inner Richmond, I guess.

(I live in Dublin, so I know.)

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendation for a "genuine" Irish pub.

Why is it okay to post from Indiana but not from Arizona.? I only lived there for more than two decades so give me a break. Clement has two or three "Irish" pubs. One of which is in my opinion the real deal.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendation for a "genuine" Irish pub.

My choice would be the Irish Bank, in a little alley off Bush St. near Union Square: http://www.theirishbank.com/

I've heard John Foley's get good mention here but have never been: http://www.johnnyfoleys.com/

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendation for a "genuine" Irish pub.

ugyved2 it would really help if you can name names. "One of which is in my opinion the real deal". Perhaps it would help the OP if you can tell him/her what this "real deal" is.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,665 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendation for a "genuine" Irish pub.

"I suggest the Inner Richmond on Clement."

Most would not know what that meant . Is the name of the pub "Inner Richmond" on Clement street or do you mean go to the Inner Richmond and to the pubs on Clement street ?

that is why I said come again. and suggesting you clarify what you meant.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 01:53
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendation for a "genuine" Irish pub.

First one on the right after you make the turn onto the avenues. Don't know the name. Never did. Just knew where it was. Sorry. But you'll know it when you see it. Might be called Plow and Stars? All I know for sure is they pour an honest Guiness, have pub food and generally have Irish music. It's as an honest Irish joint as I ever found in the City

Edited: 19 September 2013, 01:56
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,665 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendation for a "genuine" Irish pub.

oh the Plough and Stars. Go for the beer and the food and and if you are still hungry go next door for some hot hot Chinese soup with herbs