We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coit Tower

California Hot...
Level Contributor
307 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Coit Tower

Yesterday we went to San Francisco to visit Coit Tower,a very nice place to visit,great views and guided tour.The only downside was the bus ride from our parking place at pier 39 which is the line 39,when we boarded the bus we asked for the price and we started looking for the proper amount of money as the driver does not make change,he told us he didnt have all day so I deposited five dollars for a two dollar and twenty five cent ride for the three of us,he was an absolute jerk,we travel extensively in Europe and the trolly or bus driver will always help you.What a bad advertisement for San Francisco tourism.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,009 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coit Tower

sorry that the bus driver was rude. I agree that does not reflect well on SF especially for Senior Citizens

But if you had read the Top Questions or the info about going round in SF, you would have seen that public transit buses in the US do not have personnel who provide change. Nothing different in SF except for the cable car which has 2 personnel and you will get change there.

Is there something we can help you with on the SF forum so that the rest of your trip is hassle free. Do have a look at the Top Questions and do let us know if you need help with any other transit issue. Have you looked at the MUNI passport

Edited: 19 September 2013, 23:04
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coit Tower

I too am sorry however the Muni bus drivers are under pressure to make their schedules. There are a couple of (very vocal) citizens groups that are all over Muni to improve their service and performance to schedule.

To be honest, when I travel to a city where I know I am going to use public transit, fares and riding nuances are one of the first things I research. Additionally, there are a number of Muni drivers whose first language is not English and whose communication abilities in English aren't that great.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,009 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coit Tower

This is the site you can use to let SF Muni know

http://www.sfmta.com/feedback

California Hot...
Level Contributor
307 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coit Tower

We are senior citizens and we completed our day by attending the French water impressionists exhibit at the Legion of Honor

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,956 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coit Tower

When I was in Florence (Italy) I tried to buy a bus ticket on the bus, only to find out that's not their system. I had to get off the bus to find a shop to buy a ticket. My bad... I should have researched first.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 03:48
California Hot...
Level Contributor
307 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coit Tower

In most European cities you go to the tobacco store or in the station to get tickets.

Brooklyn, NY, USA...
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coit Tower

Consider this a lesson learned. Next time, you will know to research public transit in an unfamiliar city beforehand.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,714 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coit Tower

Research or not, there is no excuse for rudeness. We have had mixed experiences with bus drivers in different cities. Our experiences with SF bus drivers have been quite positive, fortunately.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coit Tower

I'm sorry the driver was rude to you. I'm a little surprised since the line going up to Coit Tower is ridden mostly by tourists and my experience is that they usually put the more personable drivers on the tourist lines. It also seems like these lines are in less of a hurry and drivers are used to confused, unprepared tourists. Certainly complain to muni.

On the other hand, I completely understand why the driver and other passengers would expect you to board promptly. The average speed of muni vehicles is only around 8 mph because of all the stops, traffic and people dawdling while boarding.

Every time the driver waits for someone who isn't ready to board or takes an inordinately long time, it wastes the time of all the people on the bus. In my opinion, making 5 to 100 people wait a long time extra for something that someone could've been prepared for can also be rude and inconsiderate to others. Maybe you don't think of it that way, but it's the way many people in a city get around. Holding up everyone on the bus isn't much different than parking your car in the middle of the road and blocking traffic while you chat, read a map or do something personal while everyone is forced to wait behind you.

I know a lot of tourists are in a relaxed state and in no hurry, but it's considerate to remember that other people may be trying to go about their daily lives. People are usually happy to help out if you ask or need information or directions, but the time to find out how boarding and payment works is before boarding.

I do not mean to be critical, but I can't think of a time I've tried to use an unknown transit system without getting some background information on how to use the system, where to get tickets or how to pay.

As the saying goes, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do."

You live, you learn. :-)

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coit Tower

We had no problems in 2011 on this bus but we did have a multi day muni ticket. I have found that without a car, it is worth researching public transport in advance.

There are rude bus drivers all over the world, I recently had issues on hop on hop off bus in York England