We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BART Strike? October 10

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,243 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
BART Strike? October 10

Stop me if you’ve heard this before.... :^(

PLAN AHEAD. If you will be here next month, be aware that BART unions and management are still struggling with contract negotiations—and to many of us, they don’t appear to be struggling very hard. They piddled away several weeks of the 60-day “cooling off period” that began in August. Only in the last couple weeks did they even start meeting with each other again. Now we are just under 3 weeks from the deadline and from the statements coming from both sides, they are not even close.

sfgate.com/default/article/BART-union-touch-…

sfgate.com/bayarea/article/BART-managers-may…

There is a possibility of another strike if there is no contract by October 10. Those who were here for the 4-day strike in July remember what a nightmare it was. It was summer, and July 4 holiday week; many working people were away, schools were mostly out, and no big conventions were here. We won’t have any of those mitigating factors next month. Not only is everyone back in town, but the American Society of Anesthesiologists meeting will bring 16,500 attendees on October 12 (many of whom may arrive early) and October 7-13 is Fleet Week.

BART is training some managers to operate a few trains for peak hours in case of a strike, but a few trains won’t handle the 300,000 bodies that BART hauls each day. Other transit systems will run more buses, trains, and boats, but all of the Bay Area's body haulers combined cannot replace BART. There may be modified procedures on some bridges and freeways, like longer HOV lane hours, but there will be a huge increase in private cars on the roads.

If you’re coming here around October 10, keep an eye or ear on local news media and these forums. We’ll try to help you out, but there's no way to sugar-coat it; it will be a region-wide headache and a PITB that even 16,500 anesthesiologists can't fix.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
348 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BART Strike? October 10

Is Bart just buses, does this include the street cars, coming to SF 8th

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BART Strike? October 10

Bart is a regional transit system (trains) that goes between cities and a large use is for people to commute into and out of San Francisco. For most tourists who are staying in San Francisco, they will be most affected after flying into SFO as they will need to take a taxi, shuttle, town car or similar rather than the train system to get into San Francisco.

The San Francisco city transit system (muni) will still be running in the event of a Bart strike and is a completely different system. They run cable cars, street cars, buses within San Francisco.

The people most affected by this strike on a daily basis will be commuters and tourists staying outside of San Francisco who need to get to San Francisco (or San Franciscans commuting out of the city on Bart for work). It's likely to make their life very, very painful while the strike is in effect.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,418 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BART Strike? October 10

Just to reiterate for people who are visiting and staying in SF, BART is mainly used as one option to get from SFO to SF. Use cabs, uber or shared shuttles it will affect people who want to visit Berkeley and Oakland and any possible playoff games for the Oakland As and the Oakland raiders games

SF has its own public transit system Www.sfmuni.com. More info about MUNI vs BART is in the TOP Questions

If you are planning to stay around SFO or the east bay and use BART to see SF, that is where the problems may arise. BART may have some buses and there will be ferries from Oakland and Alameda. From the SFO area. Www.caltrain.com is one option

Edited: 22 September 2013, 15:48
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BART Strike? October 10

BART is also a popular transit system for those who opt to fly into the Oakland airport (OAK) to get to San Francisco, also for the Golden State Warriors Basketball team, along with the above mentioned Raiders and A's games.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
348 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BART Strike? October 10

Thanks, don't suppose will effect me in the slightest, can wait to see SF, roll on 08th October

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,243 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BART Strike? October 10

If you are coming to SF on the 8th but will be staying until the 10th or later, and there is a BART strike, it will impact you even if you won't actually be riding it. The loss of BART has a huge ripple effect on all Bay Area transit systems, and on traffic congestion and parking because many people who normally use it will be driving private vehicles. You're also likely to see a lot of stressed and grumpy locals, who I hope will still be nice to you (it might help to wear touristy attire or act touristy).

In the past, the unions have given 72-hour strike notices before the deadline. So keep your eyes and ears open.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,418 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BART Strike? October 10

you will also see a polar bear swimming from pacifica to SF. Right @simba ?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BART Strike? October 10

<<If you are coming to SF on the 8th but will be staying until the 10th or later, and there is a BART strike, it will impact you even if you won't actually be riding it. >>

The only way I see this impacting Humphers is if s/he was planning on using BART back to the airport. During the BART strike in July, there was little (if any) impact to those sightseeing in SF (as long as they weren't trying to navigate downtown with a car -- never recommended anyway).

While I think that keeping people abreast of the BART issue because of its impact on airport transfers is useful for this board ... I smell a little crisis mongering as well.

Edited: 22 September 2013, 23:05
San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,243 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BART Strike? October 10

** "I smell a little crisis mongering as well." **

I don't think so. I think it's simply called "Be prepared." Or as TripAdvisor would say, "Know before you go."

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BART Strike? October 10

I stand by my opinion. Certainly posting about the possibility of a strike is appropriate.

But I continue to disagree strenuously with your quote here:

"<<If you are coming to SF on the 8th but will be staying until the 10th or later, and there is a BART strike, it will impact you even if you won't actually be riding it. >>"

Also this: <<Those who were here for the 4-day strike in July remember what a nightmare it was>> I don't believe visitors to SF recall a "nightmare." Frankly I wasn't bothered by it either.

Or this: <<BART is training some managers to operate a few trains for peak hours in case of a strike, but a few trains won’t handle the 300,000 bodies that BART hauls each day>>

FriscoRR ... you make it sound like every visitor to SF has to rely on BART. That is absolutely not true and why I called your post "crisis mongering." And I still think it is.

Visitors MIGHT use BART to/from the airport(s). For 95% of them that would be the extent of it.