We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for best route from NY to San Fran in 5 days

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, New York...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for best route from NY to San Fran in 5 days

Hey all, my boyfriend and I are moving from NY to SF and have 5 days to get to San Fran. We are on a budget, but would like to hear any advice as far as route, places to stop, ideas and such. My car isnt the best (AC is broken) and it will be packed tight, but we think we will be alright making it across. Any advice will be more than appreciated =) !

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,463 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for best route from NY to San Fran in 5 days

The road trips forum would be your best bet. Now if you are doing the cross country trip, i would strongly advise you not to do it in winter if you car has issues.

Come across on Highway 80 which is the direct route and perhaps make detours to see Chicago and also Denver

it is around 3000 miles so with 5 days or 4 nights you can divide up the time and drive about 600 miles a day which will be about 9-10 hours of daily driving which won't give you much time to see anything but you could spend evenings in a major city.

Edited: 26 September 2013, 21:45
LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for best route from NY to San Fran in 5 days

I would search for a commercial truckdriver forum. That's the kind of advice you need.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,241 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for best route from NY to San Fran in 5 days

The best route is the most direct route, but try to avoid high mountain passes. You don't have time to stop anywhere for sight seeing. Good luck.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for best route from NY to San Fran in 5 days

Your question belongs at the Road Trip forum. Tell forum members when you expect to travel. Understand it takes and preparation and discipline to safely drive cross-country in five days. I’ll see you there; you’ll meet many members who will enjoy helping.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,258 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for best route from NY to San Fran in 5 days

Five days doesn't allow time for any side-trips or sightseeing really. You will be pretty much be driving hard all day long.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for best route from NY to San Fran in 5 days

Simple. Not like planning a drive across Africa. Google maps. The most direct route is via the middle of the country. Time of year bears watching. Five days you aren't sight seeing. Stop at smaller towns for the night. There will be cheap motels..obvious when you see them...near the freeway. Big cities mean you may have to drive around looking. Big cities also have bad neighborhoods. A lot of places near free way offramps...fast food and gas stations have displays of coupon books for motel discounts. Or if you have a laptop and wifi..check hotwire.com each day. Best deals when price is primary. Don't worry. Never has anything dodgy.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,865 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for best route from NY to San Fran in 5 days

Interstate 80.

Once you get to the West you need to be more cautious on when to stop as there are huge, open stretches of road with few services and hotel options.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for best route from NY to San Fran in 5 days

Get comfortable cushions to sit on to prevent developing hemorrhoids from all those hours on the freeways. Take an aspirin daily to prevent DVT's.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for best route from NY to San Fran in 5 days

OP has also asked on the Road Trips forum, so between the two she will get good advice. A "trucker" forum isn't necessary.

ljosins, if you could find another day or two for your journey it would reduce some of the long daily hours in the car.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,727 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for best route from NY to San Fran in 5 days

I've driven between SF and NY on I-80 in five days.

I probably could have done it in four.

Edited: 26 September 2013, 23:32