We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap parking spots in SF during day

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
918 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap parking spots in SF during day

I will arrive in SF tomorrow Friday Sept 27th around 1pm and plan on walking around the trolley areas toward Fishermans Wharf. I am trying to find a good place to park during this time without being too expensive but also possibly where I could get back in my car and drive around to other places like Chinatown and such.

I also have Saturday in which I will be hitting other attractions but will have a hotel more central for that day.

Any suggestions on street parking for cheap. Perhaps around Nob Hill or so?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,301 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap parking spots in SF during day

Sanfrancisco.bestparking.com should help. Nob hill is not the cheapest to park . Where is your hotel ? When you say trolleys, you mean cable cars or street cars? SF parking is not cheap. Sutter Stockton garage or 5th and mission garage are two options you could look at

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
918 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap parking spots in SF during day

My hotel for the first night is across the bridge and we will need our car the first day. I was hoping to find cheap street parking anywhere near the cable cars (even close to the wharf or chinatown). If a garage then something not to expensive for about 6 hours max.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,995 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap parking spots in SF during day

Across the bridge? Which bridge?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
918 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap parking spots in SF during day

Bay Bridge so parking at the hotel is not an option that first day.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,519 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap parking spots in SF during day

Park you car at the hotel on the first day and use BART....avoid SF parking completely.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,172 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap parking spots in SF during day

The words cheap and parking are not used in the same sentence in San Francisco.

We usually leave our car at the Rockridge BART station. There is a small fee.

Street parking in the areas you want to go to is generally non existent. Garages will cost you about $15 for a few hours stop in if you move your car going pay again. So you can easily pay $35-$45 in parking. Parking in the east bay and taking bart is your best option. It'll cost about $15 for two people.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap parking spots in SF during day

There is no reason to get your car to get between Fisherman's Wharf and Chinatown. This is not LA -- the entire city is less than 50 square miles.

Fisherman's Wharf to Chinatown is walkable ... probably a bit over a mile. And the walk will take you through North Beach as well. Or, if you aren't up to that much walking, get the 30-Stockton bus on Columbus at North Point (across from the Marriott) which will go directly through Chinatown.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
86 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap parking spots in SF during day

I have a love/hate relationship with San Francisco and parking is the main reason why. It is almost impossible to find free parking, although I have several times. The most recent time we went with Pier 39 parking (pier39.com/home/pier-info/directions-parking/). It's $8 an hour. It is definitely the most convenient garage as it is just across the street from Pier 39. You get an hour validated if you eat at a restaurant on the pier. Get a bread bowl on the pier and there's your first hour.

How much time do you plan on spending near Fisherman's Wharf? If you are only going to be near here for 2-3 hours then it will cost you $8-16, which is cheap for SF. Where are you going afterwards? If you plan on going to 3-4 more places where you'll be facing the same parking dilemma then listen to the previous posters and stick to public transportation and walking.

sf
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap parking spots in SF during day

Are you arriving at SFO or Oakland airport? If Oakland ditch the car at a BART station or near one and take BART, to avoid the Friday Bridge traffic. If you're arriving at SFO its crazy to have a hotel in the East Bay unless it on miles or free.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap parking spots in SF during day

The OP is landing as I type......

But I too would park East Bay and use BART. If I parked in Fisherman's Wharf I'd leave the car there and walk, cab and bus around the rest of the town.