We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tonga room on New Year's Eve

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
22 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Tonga room on New Year's Eve

Has anyone celebrated New Year's Eve at the Tonga Room? Is it a good place for that special night? thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,136 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tonga room on New Year's Eve

I happen to love the Tonga Room and I was first there over 35 years ago. But it is not everybody's cup of tea. You have to be able to appreciate the "kitsch" of the place. If you can do that, you will have a blast!

Check this out:

travelchannel.com/video/san-franciscos-tiki-…

Edited: 30 September 2013, 02:49
Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
22 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tonga room on New Year's Eve

Thank you for the quick response and the video. It was awesome! We have been to the Tonga Room before but never on New Year's Eve and we have never eaten there.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tonga room on New Year's Eve

I would not suggest the Tonga Room as a dining spot ever. Drinks, yes. Enjoy the kitsch.

As I find NYE to be the most rip-off night of the year, I especially wouldn't recommend it then.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,136 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tonga room on New Year's Eve

I'm with WD. The food is over-priced and is god-awful. But for drinks (expensive drinks) and a party...once again if you "get it", you can have some fun.

I am not a big NYE person either....it's usually just my bride and I at home with a terrific meal and a great bottle of wine or two. Although a couple of years ago...we were in Sebastopol on New Years Eve in a little apartment we had rented for a vacation when we consumed about a wheelbarrow full of fesh Dungeness crab between the two of us and washed it down with a couple of bottles of Iron Horse sparkling vintages from their library. That's about as exciting as we get.

But if you are in the "Big City" and you want a party night out.....the Tonga Room is fun.

For a different Tiki experience....Smugglers Cove is amazing, but you won't get in on NYE.

You might want to try the Comstock Saloon in North Beach as a NYE venue as well.

Edited: 30 September 2013, 04:00
Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
22 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tonga room on New Year's Eve

Thank you both so much for your honest replies. it sounds like my husband and I would have enjoyed Sebastopol a few years back! What fun! According to a conversation my husband had with management The Tonga Room is trying something different this year. It is $159 per person and that is only a dinner buffet without alcohol so I think it could become quite expensive to spend New Year's there! They are not sure if they are going to open up for just the bar area or not! We would prefer to eat dinner out and stop by the Tonga for drinks and dancing but it may not be possible this year.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,439 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tonga room on New Year's Eve

What____$159 for a buffet.

In that case I agree with flower power (WD)____a rip off.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,136 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tonga room on New Year's Eve

Yep....rip off for sure. And I am sure that the buffet will just be an expansion of their "Asian" menu....which is crap. $159 for some spring rolls.....

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,439 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tonga room on New Year's Eve

It's a shame they are choosing to do that but it is a fun place to visit for a drink or two.

I've always described it as a bad Disney attraction gone wrong and it has been there for almost 70 years______a little kitsch Tiki place hidden away on Nob Hill.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,222 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tonga room on New Year's Eve

Just say no!! $159 for what is likely a version of their normal pu-pu platter buffet, featuring crappy "Polynesian" dishes (think soggy egg rolls, neon-colored sweet and sour pork), without even a glass of cheap champagne at midnight? Forget it!!

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
22 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tonga room on New Year's Eve

I believe there is a champagne toast and one Mai Tai with dinner, but other than that there will be two seatings for the buffet. Management said they MAY open the bar area for those not wanting dinner, but for now it will only be the two seatings. We don't want to wait around and miss out on booking another venue or just having a nice dinner. Thanks to everyone for your candid responses. We certainly don't want crappy, soggy food on New Year's Eve!