We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Hyatt or Mariott Union Square

Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Hyatt or Mariott Union Square

Prices will be similar for one room for four people. I have platinum status at Hyatt. Pros and cons of these two? Thanks!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Hyatt or Mariott Union Square

Loved our previous stays at the Hyatt. Great location, comfortable rooms. Have not stayed at the Marriott.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,908 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Hyatt or Mariott Union Square

Basically these hotels are so close on so many levels that I'd say go with the Hyatt and either rack up some points or get some perks.

Quality-wise, they're both high-end hotels and do well in the TA rankings/reviews (ranked 29th & 39th out of ~250 hotels). I don't put too much emphasis on minor ranking differences (I look at them in "tiers"), I *suppose* this is just starting to get to the point where the difference might be enough to favor one over the other, but not really.

From a location standpoint they're less than a block apart, so that's a toss-up (unless you're wanting an actual view of Union Square, but then you've got to get the "right" room). I suppose if there was something specific you were going to spend a good deal of your time on (say a conference or seminars), then one might save you a couple of minutes walking time each way, but . . . .

I might look at some recent reviews and see if there is something mentioned that has a particular appeal to me (or not); things like service that gets consistent mention, nicer lobby or ???? I presume there isn't some amenity that you consider particularly important (that one doesn't have and/or is clearly superior to the other one), if there is you might make that the deciding factor.

About the only other relevant thing I can think off off the top of my head is that I believe the Hyatt just completed a renovation (might check the forum and/or reviews and see if you see mention of it). If this is true, then I would expect the Hyatt to be just a hair nicer since everything will be pretty much brand new.

Bottom Line: I consider this choice a coin-toss and would probably end up favoring the Hyatt based on your platinum status.

That's my $.02,

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Hyatt or Mariott Union Square

Definitely the Hyatt in my opinion.

I like the location better although there is not much in it as HLO pointed out.

They have recently renovated rooms and I think the Hyatt overall is a better property.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,057 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Hyatt or Mariott Union Square

Grand Hyatt is our usual hotel when we visit SF every year. We are also Platimun level and usually stay on the Regency level. The views are terrific.

Easy walk to Union Square, Chinatown, shopping and restaurants.

5. Re: Grand Hyatt or Mariott Union Square

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 06:20