We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from Scotland to San Francisco

Dundee, Scotland
Level Contributor
39 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Flights from Scotland to San Francisco

Looking for flight to San Francisco next year. We need plenty leg space. Good value...for example meals and drinks on board. Been with what was Continental but drinks are expensive and food was only ok not great. What kind of prices...We were just over one grand five years ago.

sf
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from Scotland to San Francisco

Try smartertravel.com

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,441 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from Scotland to San Francisco

Or the Air Travel forum -

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,470 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from Scotland to San Francisco

Plenty of leg space, good meals and drinks. Perhaps you can fly upperclass or business class on Virgin or BA from London.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from Scotland to San Francisco

We paid about $1,200 for a trip going the other direction (San Francisco into Edinburgh and home from London) about a year ago. It was actually pretty similar in price to the London round trip (or as you'd say "return ticket").

We had United Economy Plus which gave us a little extra legroom in front, but still squeezed us in like sardines side to side. We got lucky and got put on a larger plane on the way home since our smaller one hadn't arrived, so many people had empty seats between them. I wouldn't count on normally seeing any empty seats on flights operated by US airlines, since afaik, most operate with full or close to full passenger loads in most all the flights I've been on in recent years.

As I recall we got a free breakfast an hour or two before coming into Edinburgh. I don't remember much about it, which probably means it wasn't horrible. I have pretty low expectations from airline food at this point.

If your priority is low prices, you probably won't get much extra room or special treatment on most airlines I'm aware of unless you have some kind of high frequent flier program status and so get upgraded for free, or you have airline miles, vouchers or extra money to pay for upgrades.

If you are part of a mileage program or fly enough to make it worthwhile to collect miles (especially if you can collect enough to get better program status), that may also be a criteria for which airline or partner airline to choose. You get quite a lot of miles between Europe and the west coast of the US (nearly 11,000 miles round trip)--which may or may not make much difference to you.

In the U.S. market, kayak.com is a reasonable site to begin looking at airfares (though it doesn't include all airlines). Seatguru.com may help in giving you information about the configuration of different airlines' seats for different planes and how much room they have. Besides the airline travel forum, there is also the flyertalk.com web site which has a lot of information and information about things related to flying.

Good luck.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 03:51
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from Scotland to San Francisco

We flew from Edinburgh to San Francisco via heathrow, that was the most direct we could get. We flew with virgin, no real complaints though food was a bit rubbish. We used continental before and thought the food was much better with them. It was £800 each, that was returning from Los Angeles which bumped up the price a bit.

Transfer in heathrow was easy as it was booked as a through ticket. As soon as you're off the plane you jump on a coach that takes you straight to departure gates so no security checks (not on the way back though).

Also, we sat in the rows of 2 at the back so we had a bit extra room to stretch our legs to the side. I thought there was plenty of room but I'm quite short!

Edited: 06 October 2013, 19:42
Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from Scotland to San Francisco

Going to the west coast in 2003, 2009 and 2011, we have flown United via Heathrow. In 2011 it was a bit of a pain as we flew EDI - LHR via BA and then LHR - SFO on United and had to reclaim bags at T5 and travel to T1 and recheck them.

Next year we are flying EDI-EWR on United then on to San Diego before up to SFO. We do upgrade on United to economy plus.

Earlier this year we flew EDI - LHR by BA then BA world traveller plus into Atlanta and then back out of Houston. It was the flights for a coach tour but I would say BA was a step up from United but it all depends on your budget.

I usually budget £1500 for flights each and stop at least three US cities.

7. Re: Flights from Scotland to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2014, 05:19