We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay??

Niles, Illinois
Level Contributor
173 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay??

Going to be in san francisco right before xmas for 3 days. Never been. Would like to be centrally located to walk to shopping, restaurants, etc... fishermans' wharf? Union square?

travelling with 2 young adults so will need 1 or 2 bedroom suite or 2 rooms. would prefer condo or suite but would like to keep it around 250 per nite range. we usually stay at hyatt or marriott type places so i may be asking too much. all help, suggestions, comments are much appeciated!!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,705 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay??

Please look at the top questions. There are some that compare the main 3 hotel clusters (FW, Embarcadero & Union Square).

Generally speaking the advice of forum regulars is the reverse of how I've listed them (#1 = US, #2 = Embarcadero, #3 = FW).

hlo

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay??

The rates just before Christmas through a few days after are surprisingly among the lowest we see all year as there are no conventions. Staying in the union square area during Christmas is a lot a fun and there are Marriotts and Hyatts around that area

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay??

Union Square at Christmas time is fun. The Grand Hyatt would be a good choice and just off the Square too.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,373 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay??

I agree with the above. Definitely stay in Union Square. If you could get a suite with a view of Union Square at the Grand Hyatt, it would be my choice. To see the tree and the lights, etc. Or a tower room at the St. Francis overlooking the Square. ( I do not know their "suite" situation. )

Good luck and enjoy the holidays. They are very festive in San Francisco.

Edited: 05 October 2013, 05:34
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,004 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay??

Union Square area followed by the Embarcadero.

We like the JDV & Kimpton Hotels in SF over most of the big national chains. The exception I would make at Christmas time is The Palace (Starwood). It is amazing at Christmas.

http://www.jdvhotels.com/

kimptonhotels.com/hotels/hotels-sanfrancisco…

http://www.sfpalace.com/

6. Re: where to stay??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 05:19