We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing redwoods during government shutdown.

Iowa
2 posts
Save Topic
Seeing redwoods during government shutdown.

What is the best place to see redwoods during the government shutdown? We were planing on going to Muir Woods. We don't want to drive too far from SF. Is there another place to see them or maybe a parking lot by Muir Woods that will be open? We don't mind hopping over the forest closed signs.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeing redwoods during government shutdown.

There are many Redwood Groves in the area that are state parks: Armstrong Woods in Sonoma Co. as well as Henry Cowell and Big Basin in Santa Cruz Co. The first about an hour from SF the other two about 90 minutes.

I wouldn't recommend "hopping over" fences.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeing redwoods during government shutdown.

As mentioned above, don't trespass on Federal Land that is closed.

Plenty of great State, Regional and local parks that are open.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeing redwoods during government shutdown.

Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor, C S. For more information about State parks with redwoods near SF, that are OPEN, click on the blue links below:

Armstrong State Natural Reserve-- http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=450

Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park-- http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=546

Big Basin Redwoods State Park-- http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=540

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,664 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeing redwoods during government shutdown.

Now those are all good answers!

And, nothing added about the politics of the shutdown. See how easy & helpful that can be?

I encourage everyone else responding to these sorts of questions to follow the above examples.

Well done,

hlo

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeing redwoods during government shutdown.

The state parks mentioned above are much better for seeing redwoods than Muir Woods, especially Big Basin.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeing redwoods during government shutdown.

Nothing about politics, except that HLO managed to bring it into the thread as a warning. Thanks for being the thread police, HLO, let's see how that goes.

All of the above parks are better than Muir Woods, IMO, and I think that Henry Cowell is the easiest to approach (google maps agrees with me).

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeing redwoods during government shutdown.

I love-love-love -- did I say I love? -- Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park. Awesome! Pay the day use fee at the entrance gate and review the map of the park that you are given. Park in the day use parking lot and take the one mile trail down to the San Lorenzo River. Maybe you want to pack a lite lunch or snacks to have along the trail or down at the river. Beautiful scenery and redwoods --- pretty ... pretty ... pretty! The web site says there are 15 miles of hiking trails within this state park. Here is the link ---

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=5

Ditto -- Please, no going over or around barricades in closed areas. Not cool.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 23:54
8. Re: Seeing redwoods during government shutdown.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 October 2013, 01:05
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeing redwoods during government shutdown.

Was not a sling, just an observation.

Big Basin is my favorite of the parks in the Bay Area, unless you count Jedidiah Smith State Park, and I'd drive out of my way and more time to JSSP and have done so. I mean, I do like Muir Woods and have been a couple of times, but it's crowded and lacks the solitary blissfulness you can find in the other parks (even the little ones in Big Sur). Samuel P. Taylor is great, because it's not crowded.

Or, at least it wasn't until we started posting about it here - be interesting to see what happens next.

I agree that Henry Cowell may not blow a person away, unless you get off on trails, in which case it can be really beautiful. But most people don't do that, they just hit the main area near the parking lots. Henry Cowell has a very lively ecosystem, because it manages to have water almost year round or year round, so there are pretty butterflies and deer and ferns in hidden grottos:

…triporati.com/dest_overview/henry_cowell_re…

It also has some pretty cool trees:

…staticflickr.com/5284/5685859767_bd22be523e…

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeing redwoods during government shutdown.

** "Nothing about politics, except that HLO managed to bring it into the thread as a warning. Thanks for being the thread police, HLO, let's see how that goes." **

Not thread police - thread ranger. lol.

Big Basin is the oldest state park in California, even predating the National Monument status of Muir Woods. It typically isn't as busy, although with the Fed shutdown, they may be getting more visitors. Unlike at Muir Woods, Big Basin has bicycle trails and camping.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 02:07