We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to OAK from Union Sq if BART strikes??

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to OAK from Union Sq if BART strikes??

We normally use BART but with the potential for a strike, we need to have back up plan for 1p.m. Departure this Saturday.

Obviously, taxi and shuttle are choices. Taxi looks like about $70 for 2; shuttle $42 for Super Shuttle.

Is there a way that we can take ferry to Oakland and then a bus from Jack London Sq that isn't a huge hassle? I tried doing a trip plan online, but it keeps telling me to use BART - ah that we could.

We really hate to pay that much for even a shuttle, so any suggestions you have on the least

expensive way to get to OAK will be appreciated. Thanks~~

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,766 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to OAK from Union Sq if BART strikes??

You may want to consider taking a taxi once you get to Jack London Square.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,997 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to OAK from Union Sq if BART strikes??

Using the Transit.511.org site's planner, there is a way to specify the transit system, just select AC Transit. You can also exclude BART. (Look at the bottom of the planner form for "Additional Options: Include/Exclude Agencies".) All the options I saw had at least two bus rides from Jack London Square to the airport (and an hour or more of travel time), so not what I would consider hassle-free. (Also check AC Transit's rules on luggage... I know some of the bus lines serving SFO forbid luggage (they're more for workers than travelers).)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to OAK from Union Sq if BART strikes??

If you don't go the ferry + taxi route (as the alternative to taxi/shuttle) - I wouldn't suggest the ferry. Googling bus routes from Jack London Square to the Airport shows a requirement for a transfer with travel times over an hour. Not worth it.

4. Re: Getting to OAK from Union Sq if BART strikes??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 06:21