We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mid size rental car with budget

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Queens, New York...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
mid size rental car with budget

HI All,

I am planning to rent a mid size car with Budget. They have all the different sizes and the cheapest one is Nissan Altima Coupe or similar, which is the standard size according to their description. Their trunk size is 2 smallest 2 midsize (carry on I think?) and 1 large size for luggages. Is the description usually accurate with Budget? Do you guys think this car size would be enough for 4ppl with 4 carry ons?

Please give me some advice and Thank You very much.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mid size rental car with budget

If its a two door coupe, you will not have mucb leg room in the back, trunk wise, four carryon, not check in type luggage.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mid size rental car with budget

Can you supply details of what you'll use it for?

General consensus of forum regulars is that you're better off *not* having a car while in SF. If you're wanting to use it while in SF, I'd say no regardless of whether it's "enough" or not.

If in the others hand you're going to get it when leaving SF to head elsewhere, then . . . considering whether it's big enough might matter on where you'll be going, how long you'll use it, etc.

That's my $.02,

hlo

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,719 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mid size rental car with budget

If you are staying in SF....you don't need a car. If you are doing day trips outside the city....consider renting a car as needed.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mid size rental car with budget

Here is the OP's original post: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k683032…

Appears they are heading up to Napa for a couple of days.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mid size rental car with budget

4 people with 4 carry-on bags. What size? No checked bags? Mid-size cars are, IMHO what rental companies used to classify as compact. I'd go for full-size (I think standard size is about the same dimensions but with two doors). Full size can sometimes be a Chevy Impala, but also can sometimes be a Chevy Malibu, which I'd consider mid-sized.

It's important to realize is that you may not get any of the cars listed on the Web site. You could call the specific Budget location and ask what they have most of in that size category (I've done that with various companies). When you arrive, ask to look at a car before you rent it. Check the trunk, etc. If it's not what you want, ask for another car in that category, or rent in the next category up or go to another rental company (aren't the rental counters at SFO all in the same building?).

Edited: 12 October 2013, 20:27
Queens, New York...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mid size rental car with budget

HI All,

yes I will head to Napa Valley for first 3 days then return the car at Fisherman's wharf and will stay in San Fran for 4 days. I probably will go with the full size car after I read all the comments. And thank you very much for the advice guys, really appreciated.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mid size rental car with budget

Generally the delta in prices between mid and full is small so going with a full is the correct decision Please make sure you read. Www.goldengate.org/tolls about prepaying the GG toll before you get back from napa to SF . That will be cheaper than letting budget charge you after paying the toll

Queens, New York...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mid size rental car with budget

Thank you for the toll info, Belomiser!

9. Re: mid size rental car with budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 05:17