We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help with restaurants

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
207 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
need help with restaurants

The more I read about all of the great food, the harder it is to make a decision. My husband and I and another couple are vacationing in SF at the end of the month (celebrating both of our 10th anniversaries), and we'd like to make reservations at a couple of places ahead of time and have several other ideas for lunches and dinners. We're not interested in the super expensive places (Gary Danko, etc.), but we also want to stay away from tourist traps. All of us are fairly adventurous eaters and love seafood. So far I'm considering the Slanted Door and maybe Bistro Aix. We don't want an overly loud restaurant, but do want a fun atmosphere. We're staying in the Union Square area. Any ideas for us?

Thanks!

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help with restaurants

for great chinese seafood, try great eastern in chinatown on jackson street, just below grant. the huge tanks in the back testify to how fresh it is.

in union square a couple places you might try are kuleto's and scala's

for a more budget meal the noodle houses around are fun. king of thai noodle house is decent and cheap and fun for people-watching. turtle tower on larkin has excellent pho (vietnamese noodle soup)

Belden place is an alley between kearny montgomery/pine and bush that has great stuff. Bistroswith al fresco dining, french and italian mostly, very european, Plouf does mussels to die for.

try visitin sfsurvey.com for the locals' perspective on great food.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help with restaurants

You might also want to consider Moose's. My wife and I really enjoyed and didn't feel the prices were out of this world.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help with restaurants

drummerliz - what's your opinion of Thep P. in the Haight?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: need help with restaurants

The Slanted Door actually does get pretty loud, but in my opinion, the food is very good so the noise really doesn't bother me.

I definitely second the recommendation for Plouf!

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help with restaurants

supremecourt25

I haven't been there in a long time, but I liked it a lot when I went. sfsurvey gives it good reviews. I'll have to go back now that you've remnded me it's still there.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need help with restaurants

There are some great restaurants in the Mission DIstrict. Two of my favorites are Delfina and Ti Couz. Delfina requires reservations and costs about $40 per person without drinks (also their portions are somewhat small, so you can partake in appetizers, salad, main course and dessert and not be overly stuffed....but this makes the bill a bit higher!). Check out Delfina's website for a sample menu. Ti Couz is a creperie that offers both savory and sweet crepes. I always enjoy my food there. It'll cost around $20 to $25 per person.

You won't see many tourists at either of these places, but they will be full of locals. I don't think Ti Couz takes reservations, so it's best to get there before 7pm to avoid a long wait. The easiest way to get to these locations would be to take the J-Church from the Powell St. MUNI station and get off at 16th Street for Ti Couz and 18th St. for Delfina. Ti Couz is 3 blocks east of Church St. on 16th near Valencia, and Delfina is only 2 blocks east of Church on 18th at Guerrero.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need help with restaurants

You could also take a cab if you don't feel like dealing with MUNI. Since there will be 4 of you, it won't be too costly ($10 to $12 each way)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: need help with restaurants

calypso37 said: "We don't want an overly loud restaurant,"

Then you sure don't want t'go to the Slanted Door; it's deafening!

I've not eaten there but I have done some research because it's so often mentioned in this forum. The consenses is that, although good, there's much better food elsewhere at more modest prices.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
207 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need help with restaurants

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming!

Oakland
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need help with restaurants

I would still consider the Slanted Door. With four people you can order several dishes and share, making this not really expensive - particularly at lunch. We usually like to make reservations for 11:30 am for lunch, before the noise level picks up. The location at Ferry Plaza is great - shops, market, people watching, water views, etc.

A few blocks away (old post office building at Rincon annex) is Yank Sing, one our favorites for dim sum. Open from 11:00 am- 3:00 pm during the week and 10:00 am- 4:00 pm on weekends. You can make reservations. Great food and lovely ambiance,too!

Two restaurants that we really like used to have great lunch specials, while being fairly expensive at dinner: Farallon - great seafood and wonderful atmosphere - right in the heart of Union Square and Tommy Toy's (gourmet Chinese food) - spectacular luncheon special. Do check out - they are both worth the experience.

For Italian food, Delfina's in the mission district has very good food at moderate prices. Also, consider Pane e Vino, a great neighborhood restaurant on Union St. Very good Italian food (and good pizza as well).