We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How best to spend 3 days in San Francisco

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
How best to spend 3 days in San Francisco

We are 2 English families (4 adults and 2 x 15 year olds) who will be in San Francisco for 3 days in July 2014. We like a bit of culture, sport, music and entertainment so what are best things in San Francisco "that we must not miss"? Also, what's the best way to get around the city and can anyone recommend good places to eat within a tight budget?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,044 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How best to spend 3 days in San Francisco

Humm great questions. Guess what we have collectively compiled a list of what to do, where to stay. What to see how to travel and some options of restaurants in two places. - the right side of this forum page under top questions or via the 2nd post of this SF forum. Please read and if you have a specific question, we can help after you and your teens read those answers

Good places to eat with a tight budget - what sort of food . Which part of the city . What budget . Have a look at www.sfgate.com/food and check bargain bites.

Edited: 13 October 2013, 17:11
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How best to spend 3 days in San Francisco

"Must see" "Must do"

I'm not a fan of the word "must" in the general sense. Thankfully, this is not a "one size fits all" world.

For "sport" I'd suggest a baseball game. There are two teams in the area so there is usually a home game in SF or Oakland almost every day of the week. I think the SF stadium is a lot nicer than Oakland's -- but it's more crowded and expensive too. The schedules aren't out yet for next summer but check the websites for the Oakland A's and SF Giants in the spring.

"Music" covers a huge expanse ... we have a great symphony and the summer season has some fun stuff. But something tells me that's not what you were referring to. So more specifics, please?

The best way to get around town ... other than your own two feet (yes, this is a great walking city) is our public transit system, affectionately known as Muni. Visitor passes (called "Passports") are available in 1,3,7 day flavors and get you unlimited rides on those little cable cars (that climb half way to the stars) -- and every other bus, trolley and underground which runs in town.

Good places to eat on a budget? Frankly, whole books have been written on that topic. Check the link belo provided.

Do have a gander at our Top Questions. And I think a good guidebook might be of value as well. Hand it off to the kids and let them plan one of the days events!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,720 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How best to spend 3 days in San Francisco

I love the idea of having the two teenagers plan an entire day. That could be so much fun for the teens and for the adults they are leading around!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How best to spend 3 days in San Francisco

Alcatraz/Golden Gate Park and walking around Downtown and going on a Cable car. I was there in 2010 and I loved it.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,740 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How best to spend 3 days in San Francisco

Surely biking across the Golden Gate Bridge is a "must do".

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How best to spend 3 days in San Francisco

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply, although I don't think we're brave enough to let the lads plan a day out - it'd just be all Ben & Jerry's and rap/dubstep music! I'm glad to hear that SF is a walkable city though and cycling the Golden Gate sounds like fun. You've all given me plenty of food for thought so thanks to you all for your replies. One final question - can you do a stadium tour of Candlestick Park as I'd like to see where Joe Montana used to work!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,044 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How best to spend 3 days in San Francisco

Humm Candlestick is in its last legs as a stadium. This is the final year te 49ers are to play there . I think by July 14, it wil be closed or work would have started to demolish it . not sure but don't count on a visit to the home of the 49ers, the former home of the Giants and the venue where the Beatles played.

Too many frozen. Chilly day memories for me, earthquake memories too. goodbye Candlestick !!!

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How best to spend 3 days in San Francisco

Would you and your sons be interested in the 60s flower power time and the music? The Magic Bus tour with its audio visual film show and stop offs is an interesting look back on history

Edited: 15 October 2013, 12:37
9. Re: How best to spend 3 days in San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 06:18