We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which mode of transport in San Francisco ?

Ottawa, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which mode of transport in San Francisco ?

I am planning to stay one week at the San Remo hotel. There are so many mode of transport, I don't know which one to choose. I want to buy a 7 day pass, but which one is better ? I am planning to do a bit of shopping, Fisherman Wharf and Alcatraz, etc.. Also want to go to Chinatown.

Thanks !!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which mode of transport in San Francisco ?

If you aren't a walker, the 7 day visitor pass is the most cost effective. $28 and cover cable cars, bus, historic street cars and light rail. It does not cover BART.

sfmta.com/getting-around/…visitor-day-passes

If you like to walk, the city is very easy to walk and if you need to take a bus once in awhile; it is cheaper to pay as you go. Figure out if you will use a bus etc more than 2 times a day.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,117 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which mode of transport in San Francisco ?

Sorry but within SF there is just one mode of public transport that takes you all around the city and that is SF MUNI. Would you mind reading the top questions on the right side of this forum page or via the 2nd post. All the various modes of MUNI ie. Buses. Streetcars and cable cars as well as the MUNI passport are described there. You can use maps.google.com to find your way around the city. Columbus avenue in north beach has plenty of buses to help you get around. You can also walk to Chinatown telegraph hill, Fishermans wharf and a few other places

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which mode of transport in San Francisco ?

I "think" the OP is confused about the various pass options?

Or perhaps they don't mean the MUNI specifically but rather trying to decipher between when you would use the various types of MUNI available - like "do I take the F street car or the Cable Car or a bus to Fisherman's Wharf"

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,117 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which mode of transport in San Francisco ?

Yes that is why I suggested the OP do 3 things read the top question on MUNI in SF to understand it. There is an article to help visitors see various attractions from Fishermans wharf using MUNi that the OP can use as a guide as they are not too far and thirdly use maps.google.com to get door to door MUNI directions

We realize new folks don't know everything but with a primer and a lot of info in the top questions, we hope they get the basic info and then come back with specific questions

5. Re: Which mode of transport in San Francisco ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 06:37