We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary -- Looking for Hotel / Dining Recommendations

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Folsom, California...
6 posts
Save Topic
Anniversary -- Looking for Hotel / Dining Recommendations

My girlfriend and I are celebrating our 3 year anniversary and we have decided that San Francisco is going to be our place of choosing for this anniversary. We live in Sacramento, so it is an easy commute for us.

Given that most of my trips to the Bay have been day trips, I do not have any experience at all with hotels or nice resturants in the area.

I am looking to stay downtown San Fran or somewhere that is a very easy commute back into the city. We will be driving down on a Thursday morning after rush hour and coming back home on Saturday later in the day.

So, to reiterate, best hotel for an anniversary (prefer hotels with a romance package of some type) and the best restaurants, bakeries, ice cream palors, etc. that should be visited in a two night stay.

Thank you very much for your help to make this the best anniversary yet!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,548 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary -- Looking for Hotel / Dining Recommendations

Well we don't know your budget and prices vary depending on when you come. So you can look at luxury hotels for packages or boutique hotels such as kimpton and jdv for their packages. All depends on your budget and taste. Food wise again, with so many restaurants. Hard to suggest 1-2 to strangers

Why not look at the top questions list of different restaurants such as seafood, Italian and Romantic restaurants and then you can come back with a few choices

The more you research the better your options can be. Right now if I were to pick get a room with butler at the Regis and book a table at Fleur de Lys for dinner

Ice cream. Well bi-rite, smitten, mr and mrs. Misc, ice cream bar for starters

Bakeries. Tout sweet, be long, craftsman, many more in the mission

Do people from Folsom call SF, San Fran ? Really ? Humm ok

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary -- Looking for Hotel / Dining Recommendations

Belomiser is right in saying that a budget and date have a big effect on rates for hotels.

As a local, I only have limited experience with hotels here. Hotel Monaco may be one kimpton choice that is good. I certainly liked the one in Chicago, at any rate.

The Chancellor seems pretty well liked by many people, also, and has a reputation for great service,

The Palace is an elegant old-style hotel, though a bit away from union square.

I'm sure a long list of hotels could go on. Honestly, there are a lot of hotels and a lot of decent ones in San Francisco.

Perhaps look at what's available for your dates, within your budget and looks good to you. If you can narrow to a few choices, I'm sure people will be happy to give more feedback about which they'd choose.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary -- Looking for Hotel / Dining Recommendations

I think Union Square is the area you want to be in. Search TA (or other hotel search site) for your dates and Union Square. See what pops in your budget and read reviews. In addition to the Monaco and Chancellor mentioned by holodan, I'll add the Adagio, Rex and Prescott.

Now these are small-ish boutique hotels in older buildings (although the Adagio was renovated from the studs out a few years ago). If you prefer a more modern, sleek ambiance the Grand Hyatt or Marriott Union Square might be more appealing.

Level Contributor
35,022 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary -- Looking for Hotel / Dining Recommendations

The Hotel Monaco in Union Square is very nice and they have a great restaurant there, The Grand Cafe. For a special meal in San Francisco we like Boulevard down by the Embarcadero area. Across the street from Boulevard is Hotel Vitale, a contemporary hotel with pretty views. Have fun! :)

Folsom, California...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary -- Looking for Hotel / Dining Recommendations

I am sorry about the lack of pricing information in my first post. It was late... :)

I am looking to spend no more than $550 a night on a room (less would be ideal, but I don't want to cheapen the experience for my girlfriend or myself for that matter). As far as restaurants, I don't mind dropping $100-150 on dinner, but I would like breakfast/lunch to be under $60 ideally.

I hope that gives you all a better idea of the price range we are trying to stay in.

Thanks again for your advice/help!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary -- Looking for Hotel / Dining Recommendations

You might want to look at the Palace Hotel web site and check out their romance package.

…lc.com/The-Palace-San-Francicso-Hotel-373/…

www.sfpalace.com/…

Edited: 14 October 2013, 17:01
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary -- Looking for Hotel / Dining Recommendations

I don't think you have to pay that much per night for a nice hotel. But you may have to up the budget for dinner (at least if you're drinking anything at all).

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary -- Looking for Hotel / Dining Recommendations

Eating and drinking...isn't that one of the ways you leave your heart in SF?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anniversary -- Looking for Hotel / Dining Recommendations

The Fairmont [in the older, historic wing] or the Mark Hopkins for luxury. Michael Mina for dinner. Not cheap, buy hey, you asked.

Folsom, California...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anniversary -- Looking for Hotel / Dining Recommendations

Right now, I am looking at the Executive Suite at the Grand Hyatt which is $420 a night. I would really like to stay down in the Union Square area as that is where we will be spending the majority of our time. We will venture out of course, but that seems to be the main hub for our interests.