We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bistro or café with live music before attending the theatre

Jenks, America
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Bistro or café with live music before attending the theatre

Any suggestions for a charming bistro or café or casual restaurant WITH LIVE MUSIC (piano or jazz, etc.) that a couple can enjoy before attending the theatre? Our hotel is in the Nob Hill area but we don’t mind taking cabs. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bistro or café with live music before attending the theatre

Try the Huntington.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bistro or café with live music before attending the theatre

The bar/restaurant at the Huntington is called the Big Four. The cocktail lounge has a piano player beginning at 5PM. There is a bar menu but the restaurant itself is rather formal. So, not exactly a bistro or café and the restaurant itself would not be called "casual."

Here's a link to their "summer" bar menu: big4restaurant.com/pdf/Summer_Bar_2013.pdf -- it may work for you. I'm quite a fan of that bar but have never eaten there.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bistro or café with live music before attending the theatre

I am assuming that since they are staying on Nob Hill and are going to the theater, they might be dressed for the occasion. At least wearing their finest blue jeans!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bistro or café with live music before attending the theatre

But they asked for "bistro, café or casual restaurant" -- I wanted them to know that the Big 4 is none of those.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bistro or café with live music before attending the theatre

What was the name of that most popular piano player for decades...Bobby something. Wherever he went it turned into a cafe, a bistro a CABARET. The player at the Huntington has a touch of that, IMHO.

If they want casual, they can lean on the piano at Lefty O'Doule's and sing along until it's time for the half block stroll to the theater.

Edited: 14 October 2013, 23:02
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,577 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bistro or café with live music before attending the theatre

What theatre is your show at? I'd prefer to recommend something near your theatre, so you have less of a transportation issue en route to the show. Unfortunately, if it's the Golden Gate or Orpheum on Market, there aren't many choices for anything nice in the area.

I think we're all assuming your show is in the Union Square area, and curtain time is 8 pm? If it's somewhere else, let us know (Beach Blanket Babylon in North Beach, perhaps?). And I'm assuming you're looking to actually eat, as well?

A bit of a detour between Nob Hill and Union Square would be Oz Bar, but you'll have to check what time their music starts.

Other places with live music near Union Square include Johnny Foley's (O'Farrell St.), Burritt Room (Stockton near Sutter), Lefty's as mentioned above (the food is hofbrau-style carved meats or cafeteria dishes), Zingari (Post near Mason). But I'm not sure if the music at any of these starts early enough to enjoy during your meal.

Jenks, America
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bistro or café with live music before attending the theatre

Thank you all for your ideas!!! Yes, Theatre Area near Union Square and 8PM curtain time (sorry I did not mention this). You have provided me with many choices to research further so I am very grateful for your time and your responses! Happy Travels!

8. Re: Bistro or café with live music before attending the theatre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2014, 05:18