We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chancellor hotel or Hotel Nikko

Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Chancellor hotel or Hotel Nikko

Hi,

Need some advice , we will be in San Francisco on dec and have narrow down my hotel choices in union sq to the above two.

I will be traveling with a one yr old child, may I know which one is better in terms of shopping proximity and comfort.

Thank you very much for your advise

Best regards

Kelvin

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chancellor hotel or Hotel Nikko

they are 3 blocks apart. 5 min. walk.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,625 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chancellor hotel or Hotel Nikko

The chancellor is an excellent boutique hotel well regarded by visitors but if you are 3 , the room may be a tad bit small from what I hear. The Nikko has rooms and suites that may suit you better. Location wise, as Rachel said they are close to each other and to the shopping areas. Hope you are going to do more than just shop in SF. The top questions list things to see and do

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chancellor hotel or Hotel Nikko

Yes, the rooms at the Chancellor are smaller than those at the Nikko.

If there are three of you, I would choose the Nikko. The Chancellor is an historic boutique hotel known for its customer service. The Nikko is a modern hotel and much larger, if that makes any difference in your choice.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,422 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chancellor hotel or Hotel Nikko

They are both different types of hotels but although the Chancellor is an historic boutique hotel and the rooms can be a little smaller the Nikko does have many smaller rooms as well.

It depends on what you are looking at with your quotes.

The Chancellor has a strict two person per room policy and if it only you and your one year old then the Chancellor would be great because of the great personal customer service they are well known for and value for money and perfect location.

Hope this helps.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chancellor hotel or Hotel Nikko

I stayed at the chancellor last year with my wife and it was great. We were with a group of friends including their 10 yr old daughter and they found it fine for 4 nights.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chancellor hotel or Hotel Nikko

The bed configurations at the Chancellor are 1 queen or 2 singles. And the rooms are small -- I don't think there would be any room for a crib or roll-away bed. And as Oskar said, they have a two person per room limit.

If there are 3 of you and it's between these two hotels, then you have no choice really.

Orlando
Level Contributor
379 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chancellor hotel or Hotel Nikko

I stayed at the Chancellor in Feb and although lovely, I would NOT stay there with a 1 year old and all the "stuff" that comes with traveling with a 1 year old. I would call an inquire about one of their suites ( they have 2 ) and see if it's your price range. It would give you the added space of a living area.

As far as location, it can't be beat

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chancellor hotel or Hotel Nikko

I agree with what everyone has said. The Chancellor Hotel has a strict two person max per room policy that is broken when a guest insists. The rooms are small and some people are fine with 3 people in a room and others would not be comfortable at all.

That said, the two hotels could not be more different. One is a historic, family owned boutique hotel and the other is a large, modern, Japanese brand hotel. Not sure how you ended up with those two choices, but if that is the range of possibilities, I would guess that there are a lot more options than the Nikko or being crowded at the Chancellor. What about the Marriott, St. Francis, Villa Florence, Handlery or...

Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Chancellor hotel or Hotel Nikko

Thank you all for your recommendations , we have decided to go with hotel nikko

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chancellor hotel or Hotel Nikko

You will be happy there, I am sure. Be sure that they know you need a larger room than their smallest ones, which would be a squeeze.