We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in sf, with 3 kids all under 12, what should we do?

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
146 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights in sf, with 3 kids all under 12, what should we do?

Hi,

We will be in Sf next August for 3 nights before moving on go monterey, sb and then Santa Monica, would be grateful of any family friendly ideas for us during our time there, we want to do Alcatraz, still deciding on a good family hotel in a good location.

Any help/advice would be great,

Thank you

Ruth

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,579 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights in sf, with 3 kids all under 12, what should we do?

First, look at the "Top Questions" at the right of your screen and read this one.

>>Which Hotels for a family of 5 or more?<<

SF hotels operate under strict regulations of the Fire Marshall which determine the number of guests can legally occupy their rooms, for safety reasons. The hotels listed are some which will be fit for your family.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,198 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in sf, with 3 kids all under 12, what should we do?

I am a big fan of the Exploratorium, a hands on science center, where adults and kids can operate experiments. The kids don't have to understand the principles involved to have fun. As an adult I love the place.

We also had fun taking the boat trip around Alcatraz and under the Golden Gate Bridge.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights in sf, with 3 kids all under 12, what should we do?

Tell us ages and genders on the kids ... there is a lot of difference between a 10 year old boy and a 2 year old girl -- and vice versa.

Depending on the kids ages, renting bikes and riding over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito and getting the ferry back is a very popular outing. Depends on the ages of the kids. If they're 12,10,8 they'd be OK. Much younger than 8 and it's a difficult ride. There is a lot of info in the Top Questions on this outing.

I agree with above suggestion on the Exploratorium. The Maritime Pier at the foot of Hyde Street is fun too. You can wander the Pier without charge ... the fee is if you wish to board and explore any of the old ships.

The Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park is popular with kids. You can rent bikes in the Park as well to explore further -- the Park is very large and bikes would be helpful in getting you around. Stow Lake in the Park offers peddle boats or canoes for rent which are also good fun.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights in sf, with 3 kids all under 12, what should we do?

One word, "Exploratorium."

Yes. It's been said before and I haven't seen the new location, but I have to think it will be (good/great?) for both the kids & adults.

That's my $.02, maybe more tomorrow,

hli

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights in sf, with 3 kids all under 12, what should we do?

The Zoo and the Academy of Sciences.

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
146 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights in sf, with 3 kids all under 12, what should we do?

Thank you all, sounds like you all know your stuff! They would love the exploratorium, we have 2 boys of 12 and 11 and our daughter will be nearly 8 - so you were pretty spot on with you age guess!:)

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
146 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights in sf, with 3 kids all under 12, what should we do?

I think we would all love the pier and boats too!

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
146 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights in sf, with 3 kids all under 12, what should we do?

I think we would all love the pier and boats too!

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
146 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 nights in sf, with 3 kids all under 12, what should we do?

The pier and boats sounds great too, all of us love seafood apart from my 12 year old, any good seafood restaurants and a good diner for Harry, he loves a proper burger or steak :)

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 nights in sf, with 3 kids all under 12, what should we do?

Right on the pier next to the submarine is the Musee Mechanique, a collection of old arcade games. You will all love it. Also, take the cable cars and stop at the cable car museum to see the inner workings. At Yerba Buena Center there is bowling and ice skating. Seeing the ocean around Land's End trail and the Sutro bath ruins is great on a sunny day. Plan half a day at the Exploratorium, and a walk south along the Embarcadero down to ATT Park. Check and see if the play area is open (I think it is during the season on the days when they do not play, not sure) where you can enter the play area for free.