We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with 3 day itinerary, just want to be sure makes sense

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
621 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Help with 3 day itinerary, just want to be sure makes sense

Hi, we have 2.5 days in SF arriving next week, just wondering if anyone could go over my itinerary and let me know if it's ok. We're a 30 year old couple travelling with a 6 month old and a 65 year old. I've left Alcatraz off the list because it has a lot of mixed reviews, we probably can't get tickets, and I assume it wouldn't be fun with a 6 month old. We're staying at the San Remo Hotel (2237 Mason St). Getting 3 day muni pass.

1: Flight lands at noon, walk/putter around, ride cable cars, etc.. ?

2: Breakfast at Mama's

Walk to Union Square, Dim Sum lunch at Yank Sing

Transit to Castro/Mission Districts, explore a bit, supper at La Taqueria or Taqueria Cancun

3: Pier 39: Fisherman's Wharf at dawn

Pier 41: Ferry to Saulsito (30 min), bus #10 to GGB (30 min), walk bridge back (90 min)

Lunch at Pacific Catch 2027 Chestnut St, walk back to North Beach/Hotel (30 min)

Supper at Tony's Pizza Napoletana

Not planning on eating anywhere fancy, too difficult with a baby but I think the places I picked have pretty good reviews? I assume we'll keep ourselves busy just walking around the different neighbourhoods but not sure which ones we should prioritize time wise, any suggestions? Basically a lot of our time would just be walking around so I kept things pretty loose but if there's any must see/do stops that we're overlooking please let me know. If you have any suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with 3 day itinerary, just want to be sure makes sense

Your itinerary is planned around food spots, my kind of vacation :-) Plenty of walking so if you are ok with that, the itinerary looks fine. Have a look at the top question on what to do and see and see if something catches your fancy but other than that except for the last day, it looks like a leisurely planned day

Use google maps on a smartphone to get muni directions

Enjoy

Edited: 16 October 2013, 15:57
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with 3 day itinerary, just want to be sure makes sense

Get to Mama's early or be prepared to wait. And they serve a lot of food. Not sure you're going to want a rather fancy sit down dim sum lunch (I always eat a lot at Yank Sing but I suppose it's not necessary). Reservations there would be a good thing as well.

There are lots of places along Chestnut for lunch. I'd prefer dela Rossa (and it's very kid friendly at lunch). Pacific Catch is rather small inside.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with 3 day itinerary, just want to be sure makes sense

One thing that I am not sure of - the bus stop for GG transit 10 is near the toll plaza on the south side of the bridge. Not sure of a request stop on the north side. WhiteD do you know ?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with 3 day itinerary, just want to be sure makes sense

Good point belo. I believe there is but it's not right at the Vista Point and the bridge sidewalk. Not sure the OP will be wanting to walk that section with a small child.

With three adults, I'd suggest getting a cab from downtown Sausalito to the intersection of Conzelman and Alexander Ave. From there, there is a catwalk under the bridge to get from the west sidewalk (bicycles only) to the east side. The catwalk leads out into the Vista Point parking lot. (Yes, I realize the whole car seat thing but it's about 2 miles. Certainly safer than walking along Alexander Ave from the bus stop on a narrow road, which also has a lot of bike riders on it.)

There is no vehicle access to the Vista Point from southbound 101 so a cab could not get you there without crossing the bridge and returning in the northbound direction.

The other option would be to take the Golden Gate transit bus (and you should be careful with its schedule as they don't run frequently at non-commute hours) to the toll plaza at the south side. Walk out along the bridge a bit and then turn around and head towards Crissy Field.

The OP's itinerary indicates 90 minutes from the north side of the bridge to Chestnut Street. I'd say it's every bit of that and likely more. If the government shutdown is still in effect, the bathrooms at the Warming Hut (West Beach) and Crissy Field Center (East Beach) will not be open.

5. Re: Help with 3 day itinerary, just want to be sure makes sense

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 October 2013, 17:27
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
621 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with 3 day itinerary, just want to be sure makes sense

hmm, maybe we will go to mama's on day 3 then and go early to avoid the lines. dela rossa is italian, given our short time in SF i don't know if we want to go to two italian restaurants, pacific catch seemed interesting because of it's focus on seafood?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
621 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with 3 day itinerary, just want to be sure makes sense

Ok, yeah it looks like a taxi is the way to go. But would it not be better to take a taxi to the parking lot on the west side of the bridge seen here: http://goo.gl/maps/TVCy3 ? On the GGB website it says that pedestrians can only walk on the east side so i'm assuming there must be some kind of tunnel or way to cross from the west side to the east side at this parking lot?

And also, is the best way to walk the bridge north to south? I just assumed so because that way you're looking at the city the whole way

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with 3 day itinerary, just want to be sure makes sense

Pacific Catch is a local restaurant with a couple of SF locations -- and an Asian flair as well. It's OK but doesn't bowl me over. And as I say, the Marina one is small if you have a stroller.

<<On the GGB website it says that pedestrians can only walk on the east side so i'm assuming there must be some kind of tunnel or way to cross from the west side to the east side at this parking lot? >>

Please read the second paragraph of my #4.

Yes, walking north to south is probably a bit better but then you have to walk the entire length of the bridge. If you start on the south side and walk a ways out and back you're not committed to the whole 3 miles or so.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
621 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with 3 day itinerary, just want to be sure makes sense

If it's a nice day I'm not too concerned with the distance, it should be an enjoyable walk with the stroller. Is there anywhere else you would recommend to eat somewhere after we cross the bridge? Anything that isn't chinese, mexican or italian :)

Ah somehow I missed that information about the catwalk in your previous post, thanks again! Taxi it is, looking forward to it

Edited: 16 October 2013, 18:15
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,309 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with 3 day itinerary, just want to be sure makes sense

Don't forget to account for the hills in your walking calculations. As an example, from Pacific Catch back to your hotel, the direct route is up and over the flanks of Russian Hill (and I think would take longer than the 30 minutes indicated).