We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biking San Francisco

new jerwey
Level Contributor
177 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Biking San Francisco

I am trying to plan out my iternary for a 5 day trip from NJ to SF first week in November which will include a 49ers game. We were planning on renting a bike and riding over the GGB into Saulsilito and possibly Tiburon depending on the weather. We would also like to rent bikes to ride through the Golden Gate Park so we can see the entire park and the Japanese Tea Garden in there is time. I was originally going to rent bikes on two separate days becasue I was not sure if this is too much to try and do all in one day? Any thoughts???? Thanks

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biking San Francisco

That's a lot of riding to do in one day so depends on your fitness and how early a start you get. There is also a fair amount of elevation change in getting between the Bridge and Golden Gate Park.

However a route could go like this (get a map and follow along):

1) Rent bikes at Fisherman's Wharf and ride along the waterfront and Crissy Field to the bridge

2) Behind the Warming Hut you'll go uphill to Lincoln Blvd in the Presidio -- turn right onto Lincoln. Most riders will then turn right into the entrance to the Bridge BUT you will want to continue on Lincoln

3) Pass Baker Beach

4) Onto Camino del Mar

5) Left at the Legion of Honor and onto 34th Ave to Geary

6) Right on Geary to the Great Highway (pass the Cliff House)

7) Into the Park at JFK Drive (you might like to cruise along Ocean Beach for a bit -- there a wide bike path)

8) Do your GG Park exploring

9) Leave GG Park on Conservatory Drive (at the Conservatory of Flowers) and exit onto Arguello Blvd

10) Take Arguello into the Presidio

11) Pass Inspiration Point and Andy Goldsworthy's Sprire

12) Make left at stop sign onto Washington Street (in the Presidio, not the Washington Street in SF)

13) This will bring you back to Lincoln Blvd near the bridge with the least amount of elevation change. Turn right onto Lincoln and follow back to the entrance to the bridge ...make a left into the parking lot and onto the bridge sidewalk. \

14) Continue across the bridge.

For lots of info on the ride across the bridge and rules for which sidewalk to use on the bridge depending on day of week, check the Top Questions.

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biking San Francisco

I think it's too much for one day. You wouldn't really have time to park the bikes and explore. Also, if you do it in 2 days, you'd have time to check out more of the park (Conservatory of Flowers, the lake?) Plus, when you go across the GGB to either Sausalito, or Tiburon, you should plan to take the ferry back...the prettiest views of San Francisco are from the water.

new jerwey
Level Contributor
177 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biking San Francisco

I thought it was too much but just figured I'd put it out there. Thanks so much. Any suggestions on if we rent bikes in GGP if it's work going over to cliff house as well or anything else in the area that would be good. Thanks!

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biking San Francisco

Definitely follow WhiteDahlia's route to the park. You can stop off at Baker Beach, walk along a coastal trail, enjoy the view from the fountain at the Legion of Honor museum and then it'll be downhill past the Cliff House.

When you are ready to head into the park, if you didn't eat at the Cliff House, you can stop at the Park Chalet (it's on the back -- park -- side of the Beach Chalet, and is a nicer space, IMHO). Not the world's greatest food, but a nice, sunny spot, and if the weather co-operates, you can eat outside.

Be sure to get a paper map the park. It gets confusing in there! Another sight you could see is from the Observation Tower at the De Young Museum. You don't need to pay the museum's admission to go up to the top for more views of the city.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biking San Francisco

The length of the Park is about 3 miles. Most people rent bikes behind the band shell at the Concourse between the de Young and Academy of Sciences. So the ride from there to the Cliff House is a couple of miles. Pretty easy to do.

Eating at either the Cliff House, Beach Chalet or Park Chalet is fine. Cliff House will be more expensive but there are some lovely views from there south across Ocean Beach.

new jerwey
Level Contributor
177 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biking San Francisco

how is the bike ride out of Golden Gate Park and over to Cliff House or Beach Chalet or the beach?. is it a bike path as well or the main road???. Thanks so much for all your help!!!!

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biking San Francisco

Well, I was assuming you would rent bikes at Fisherman's Wharf & follow WhiteDahlia's route. That way you really get the most scenery possible packed into the day.

(Alternatively, the bike shop *outside* the park, on Fulton St.-- which runs along the park on the north side -- Golden Gate Park Bike & Skate: yelp.com/biz/golden-gate-park-bike-and-skate… --would be my next suggestion.)

If you ride out of the park to the Cliff House, you've got a pretty steep hill, narrow road, fast cars, and no bike path. That's why it's better to go the other way. Going downhill past the Cliff House, you still have all that, but there is sidewalk you can bail onto if you need to. Also, cars going that way might be going slower as they may be looking for a parking space.

Along Ocean Beach, there's a large "promenade" sort of space that people skate, bike, run, and walk on. Just watch out for dogs! :-)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Biking San Francisco

From central GGP heading west is downhill, fairly gradual. There are bike paths, but they aren't that easy to find. There are posted maps in the park that show where the paths are. There are lots of un-mapped paths, so it can be a little confusing as to which one is the main bike path, vs. other paths. You really can't get lost though, just keep heading west on any path or road and you'll end up at the ocean.

Once you get to the end of the park, Ocean beach is across Hiway 1. There is a sidewalk you can ride on to go up the hill to the Cliff House. You do not have to ride in the street. It's not far, 1/4 mile maybe, but the hill is pretty steep and there are often piles of blown sand that have to be walked through. Check Google maps streetview to see what it looks like.

I agree that all the riding is probalby too much for one day unless you are an avid cyclist, and you don't stop much. I've ridden all around GGP, sometimes with my daughter, who doesn't ride often. Last time we made two complete loops around the park in a few hours, stopping often to see the sites.

There are a bunch of restaurants south of the park around 9th Ave and Irving street, we usually lock our bikes up around there to grab some lunch.

9. Re: Biking San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 06:19