We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FW Cable Car Ride Question

ny
Level Contributor
332 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
FW Cable Car Ride Question

Hello,

We are very excited to be leaving next Tuesday for SF!! Of course, we want to ride your famed cable cars, and I have read the Powell Hyde line is more scenic. If we want to take a ride from the Warf area, what should we do to ensure the least amount of waiting?

1. What time do the cars run? We are from NY, and will likely be up early with the time difference.

2. Where can we get on the car?

3. What is the cost?

4. How does on one pay? ( Possibly a silly question, but in NYC you need a metro card)

5. At the end of the line of Powell Hyde must we get off? Will we endure a long wait to turn around? Is there a better option? (Get off one stop early?)

6. On the way back can we get off at Lombard Street and walk back to the Warf?

7. How long will all of this take? We have an alcatraz tour booked for 1:45, and need to be there an hour early.

We have only a day and a half in SF, and I really want to make the most of it.

Thanks for any suggestions you may provide!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,474 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FW Cable Car Ride Question

Here are some answers:

1. What time do the cars run? - From around 6:00am until 1:00am 7 days/week

2. Where can we get on the car? - At any of the stops along the line. Look for a brown sign on the sidewalk that designates what bus/cablecar line stops there. They stop every few blocks

3. What is the cost? - $5.00 each way, Weekly passes require a payment of $1, and free if you have a MUNI 1,3, or 7 day passport

4. How does on one pay? - you pay the conductor with cash

5. At the end of the line of Powell Hyde must we get off? Will we endure a long wait to turn around? Is there a better option? -

Yes you must get off and wait in line if you want to ride again. You might want to consider walking around the Union Square area before heading back.

6. On the way back can we get off at Lombard Street and walk back to the Warf? - Yes

7. How long will all of this take? We have an alcatraz tour booked for 1:45, and need to be there an hour early. - It takes about 25 minutes form Beach and Hyde to the end of the line at Powell and Market streets

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FW Cable Car Ride Question

It sounds like you want to ride it the length of the run end to end. You could ride the PM one way and the PH back the other way. Near the wharf area the PM stop is on Taylor St about 3 blocks south of the wharf and the PH is at the west end of Jefferson near Ghiradelli and the Cannery.

Tickets are one way and $5 each and no transfers so if you're going to ride it end to end and maybe get off at Lombard St to take pictures then get back on it might make more sense to purchase a Passport. Either ticket or passport can be purchased from conductor. I think you could start riding as early as 7am.

I would not recommend the walk from Lombard St to the wharf as it is at least 6 blocks and the hills. Other cable car stops are posted every few blocks with small brown & white signs simliar to bus stop signs.

I would say without waiting in too ling of lines, an 1 to 11/2 hrs would be enough time to ride end to end with a picture stop at Lombard St.

check out

www.sfmuni.com

www.sfcablecar.com -nice map but fares outdated

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,474 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FW Cable Car Ride Question

" I would not recommend the walk from Lombard St to the wharf as it is at least 6 blocks and the hills. "

It's 6 blocks all downhill from the crooked part of Lombard street to the wharf

ny
Level Contributor
332 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FW Cable Car Ride Question

Thanks you so much for your responses! :)

It seems pricey to spend40.00 on a ride for our group of 4.

We will only ride one way, then I think, unless the 1 day pass is reasonable.

Which way should we ride?

Should we take the subway (I think you call them street cars?) to Union Square and then ride the cable car back and get off at Lombard?

Which makes the most sense?

Or how about his....Take the cable car to the end and walk back via

Lombard Street?

How long would it take to walk from the end of the PH line to FW, via Lombard Streeet?

If this is not a bad walk, through a nice area, this might be the best option. Get some exercise, see the sights and save 20.00.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,474 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FW Cable Car Ride Question

"Which way should we ride?"

If you want to check out Lombard street then I would start at Powell and Market Streets and get off at Lombard and wlk back to Fisherman's Wharf

"Should we take the subway (I think you call them street cars?) to Union Square and then ride the cable car back and get off at Lombard?"

The F streetcar line runs above ground form Fisherman's Wharf and will take you to Powell and Market where you cancatch the cable car. The subway runs underground and dosent go to Fisherman's Wharf

"How long would it take to walk from the end of the PH line to FW, via Lombard Streeet?"

It depends of what part of Fisherman's Wharf you want to walk to. It's 6 blocks from the crooked part of Lombard Street to the western egde of Fisherman's Wharf. It should take between 10-20 minutes depending where you want to walk to

"If this is not a bad walk, through a nice area, this might be the best option. Get some exercise, see the sights and save 20.00."

I agree

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FW Cable Car Ride Question

Well the one day Passport is $11 each -good deal if you're going to do more riding.

Maybe you could ride the PH from the wharf to the top of Lombard St and if you want the excercise walk down the stairs to the bottom then back to the wharf as sean420 suggests it is about 6 blocks but down hill. There should also be a pretty good view of Alcatraz from the bottom of the crooked part of Lombard St as you walk back

ny
Level Contributor
332 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FW Cable Car Ride Question

The PH and the PM line both run past Lombard?

Berkeley
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: FW Cable Car Ride Question

The Powell/Hyde and the Powell/Mason both originate at Powell and Market and both end up near each other at Fisherman's Wharf, however, the Powell/Hyde goes across Hyde, up on Russian Hill, while the Powell/Mason takes a lower route through North Beach. Hyde intersects at Lombard's crest, right where the crooked part begins, so it is the Powell/Hyde car you want. I noticed from another post that you might be staying in the Civic Center or Cathedral Hill area. If so, you could take the California Street Cable car line which originates at California and Van Ness. Be aware, though, that it is not quite as scenic as the Powell cars, though it does go up and over Nob Hill, past Grace Cathedral and then Chinatown. It ends down by the Embarcadero, not far from the Ferry building. From there you could take the F line to Pier 39 and the Wharf, or walk if you don't mind a 25-30 minute stroll. The Alcatraz tour leaves from right next to Pier 39. Others have suggested that the cable cars begin operation at around 7am, however Muni claims the first car leaves Powell at 6:09 am, then about every ten minutes. Clearly, the earlier you get on, the less of a line there will be, though that may be too early, even for time-shifted East-coasters. Finally, I would say the even though it sounds like a lot of money, you might consider getting the one-day passport. This would afford you the most options, for example, taking the California Street Cable Car, jumping off at Powell, then, space permitting, jumping onto the Powell Hyde, or maybe walking to the Cable Car museum (a MUST SEE, in my opinion), then catching the Powell/Hyde up to Lombard etc.... The Passport is good on the buses and F line too so it's well worth it.

ny
Level Contributor
332 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: FW Cable Car Ride Question

Hi, and thanks for your helpful reponses.

We ae not going to chance the priceline thing for rooms in CH or CC areas, we will keep our original ressie for 170.00 per night at the HI Express in the FW. (I am such a Priceline fan, but you can't win them all and this time the city is just sold out in the areas we want!)

So, We will be taking the cable car from the warf.

Where may I purchase the passport and also, where is the cable car museum?

How long is the ride from FW to Lombard street?

Thanks again!!

Ogden
Level Contributor
159 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: FW Cable Car Ride Question

This is amazing info! Very informative!! Thanks for being so helpful everybody : )