We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving dinner

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving dinner

We will be in San Francisco for 5 days during Thanksgiving Week. 2 adults and 3 kids (6-13yo). The kids like seafood. Staying at Union Square. Have booked Marriott Union Square and Grand Hyatt - both cost the same and have not decided which one yet!!

1. Been looking at opentable to book Thanksgiving dinner. We would prefer the usual restaurant menu (preferably with seafood) rather than a standard Thanksgiving dinner of roasted turkey etc. Would appreciate any suggestions. Budget $30 per person. Have booked Fog Harbor at the moment, but open to suggestions. Would love to go to Taddich Grill but since they don't take reservations, we are not sure about the long wait times for a Thanksgiving dinner.

2. Would also appreciate info on the nearest supermarket near our hotel. I am looking at buying dried cranberries, nuts (brazil nuts, pecan nuts) to bring back home. Preferably pick-and-choose type rather than the pre-packaged type.

Thanks.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving dinner

Most will have a pre-fixe menu and not all restaurants will be open so you may have to look at opentable . There will be restaurants in Chinatown that will be open as well if you want seafood

Fisherman wharf restaurants are not favs of locals as they most tend to not offer the best food for the money.

Whole foods has nuts that one can purchase in bulk or Safeway has them as well.

As far as hotels go, both are close to each other and if you get a higher floor at the grand! that would be nice

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving dinner

There is a Boston Market on 16th Street....

I also like Safeway as an option.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving dinner

FYI Safeway is a grocery store that sells produce and pre-packaged meals but is not a place one would go for a regular menu or with seafood. You could purchase fresh seafood or frozen dinners but again I don't think that is what you have in mind

Boston. Market sells turkey and chicken dinners as well as other meals but would not be a place to go for seafood either

Sigh.

I would wait for a few more restaurants to show up on opentable. The ones right now are either thxgiving menu or have a higher priced prefix menu.

Edited: 19 October 2013, 14:24
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving dinner

Boston Market at 16th and Potrero is *nowhere* near where the OP is staying! And it is a take-out only sort of place (not to mention horrible food). Not something I would dream of recommending for a foreign visitor looking for Thanksgiving dinner.

rita808: Finding a restaurant using its usual menu on Thanksgiving will be difficult -- with the exception of Chinatown. There may be a few places around but you'll need to do some research on OpenTable or perhaps ask the question on a foodie oriented forum like Chowhound.

Checking the Thanksgiving section of OpenTable is a bit problematic as that's where restaurants are advertising their special menus. I did notice that some Fisherman's Wharf restaurants are serving their regular menus on T-Day but it's hard to recommend FW as a spot to dine on any day. And I would imagine that T-Day would be worse in terms of service and food quality.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving dinner

One thing to realize about thanksgiving day is that it's a major holiday in the US (nearly on a level with Christmas and New Years Day) with quite specific cultural traditions. Similarly to how Chinese eat mooncakes at mid autumn festival or Jewish people eat honey and apples at Rosh Hashanah, people from the US by and large eat roasted turkey at thanksgiving as a traditional food. It may not have the religious or other significance, but it is still a strong cultural tradition.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with looking for a non-turkey dinner at thanksgiving, yet most restaurants are well aware of the tradition and try to serve food that fits into the tradition since that is what many Americans are looking for on thanksgiving--a traditional dinner without having to cook it themselves. I'd suspect many more expensive american restaurants will be focusing on giving their diners the meal they want from their traditions.

Restaurants in Chinatown will almost certainly be serving some fish dishes, but nicer restaurants with limited menus on a holiday for american diners are mostly going to be focusing on turkey and other traditional dishes, I think.

I'd suggest you may have an easier time finding a nice american restaurant serving fish on a day besides thanksgiving when most restaurants will probably be serving a normal menu. Or if you can find less expensive restaurants open as they may not be doing as much to cater to thanksgiving traditional diners. Or you may want to eat at a Chinese or non-american/non-European food restaurant since they may not follow some of the locally common culinary traditions for the day.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,056 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving dinner

Many of the Italian restaurants along Columbus Ave. in North Beach will serve their full menu in addition to turkey. Tourist restaurants, in general, will have a Thanksgiving menu which will have a few selections other than turkey, and they "may" also be serving their regular menu. Restaurants for locals will either be closed or have a holiday menu, for the most part.

The nearest supermarket with choose-your-own is probably Whole Foods at California and Franklin, or Whole Foods at Fourth and Harrison (both are a quick cab or transit ride or long walk from your hotel). Can you bring unpackaged fruits and nuts into Singapore? I know you can't into the US, so just be sure before you buy!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving dinner

Thanksgiving would be a better meal in Chinatown in my opinion, if you want to avoid the special holiday menus. Even if a restaurant is serving their regular menu - since this is a major holiday, you may get stuck with second-string cooks as many people travel to their relatives or parents homes for the traditional holiday.

Some of the worst meals I've ever paid for have been on Thanksgiving.

And do check to see if there are any restrictions on non-prepackaged foods coming back into your country.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving dinner

Hey, thanks guys for all your suggestions and advice. I will keep on searching thru open table.

We have no problem bringing back dried fruits and nuts back home. No restrictions!!

Happy Thanksgiving, if it is a tad early to wish so!!

9. Re: Thanksgiving dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2014, 06:19