We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Omni or Hotel Monaco?

Alabama
Level Contributor
312 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Omni or Hotel Monaco?

I currently have reservations at the Omni with a parking package. I have found that I can turn in my weekly rental car early at the Embarcadero location and rebook at hotel without the parking. I know I don't need a car in the city but would it be of any use to keep it?

I can rebook the Omni for around the same price as a suite at Hotel Monaco. ( room size comparable at both). I see that the Omni gets fabulous reviews but am wondering if the Monaco may be a bit more relaxed and fun. Can someone give me feedback about the proximity to public transportation plus restaurants for each of these hotels? Additionally, I will need to use Bart to return to SFO early on a Saturday morning to make a 8:45am flight. Is one hotel better than another for this? Thanks in advance for the help!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,637 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Omni or Hotel Monaco?

Omni is in the financial district while the Monaco is close to Union square and shops restaurants surround this place. The area around the Omni gets quiet after the office crowd goes home. Union sq is lively late

Have you checked out the top questions especially the one called why not have a car in SF ? Before getting rid of the car, I would do Marin Headlands and Twin peaks. If you plan to ride a bike over the GG bridge, then you can cover Sausalito on that bike ride

So I would suggest the Monaco and the suite there gets good reviews from prev posters

Have a look at the map of SF maps.google.com and you can see both hotels and their proximity to market street under which BART runs. That should not be a factor

Edited: 22 October 2013, 13:53
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Omni or Hotel Monaco?

I love the Omni brand but unless you're here for business go with the Monaco.

They are both close (walking distance) to BART.

Edited: 22 October 2013, 17:07
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,807 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Omni or Hotel Monaco?

Another vote for the Monaco. Not that the Omni's bad, just think the Monaco's overall location (Union Square) is better: more "right outside the door" (restaurants, bars, shopping, etc.), slightly better transit connections, and if you're there on a weekend, you won't have the ghost-town feeling the Financial District can get when it's not a workday and many things don't even open.

hlo

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Omni or Hotel Monaco?

Yep, Monaco for sure for all the reasons already given

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
805 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Omni or Hotel Monaco?

We are huge fans of Kimptons hotels; having just stayed at their property, The Serrano, just around the corner from The Monaco. Join In Touch Loyalty program for free wi-fi and a $10 raid the mini-bar as well as other perks.

Definitely get rid of the car while you are in town and re-rent when you need it.

The Powell Street BART station is a short walk away.

Alabama
Level Contributor
312 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Omni or Hotel Monaco?

Thanks so much for the replies! I cancelled the Onmi today and made a reservation for a deluxe suite at Hotel Monaco. I actually had a hard time finding the rate I previously saw and called them. Happily they offered me a lower rate so I was even more thrilled!

Thanks also belomiser for the heads up on Marin Headlands! I had not had this on my itinerary. I plan to travel through Armstrong Redwoods and Marin headlands on my way from Napa. Will this also take me through Sausalito?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Omni or Hotel Monaco?

<<I plan to travel through Armstrong Redwoods and Marin headlands on my way from Napa. Will this also take me through Sausalito?>>

What day of the week and what time of year? If it's not a busy time of year I would recommend Muir Woods over Armstrong.

Either way it won't take you directly through Sausalito, which is a small village tucked in on the northeast side of the GG Bridge. The Headlands and Muir are on the northwest side. The Headlands are rather self-contained; pretty much two roads in/out. Best to check a map in this regard.

8. Re: Omni or Hotel Monaco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 06:19