We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car parking questions

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Car parking questions

Hi

will be visiting Alcatraz at the start of the day and after that, will visit fisherman's wharf /pier 39, GS, before picking up the car to go for dinner at around 6.30pm. am trying to look for cheap parking options (which i know is almost non existent) somewhere in between pier 33 and Ghiradelli square which is safe as well... earlier on, i was given the link to sanfranciscobestparking.com . managed to find some garages that offer early bird specials. stumbled upon some reviews whereby the reviewers said their cars were broken into in some of these garages which are unattended. hence, hope to have some advices/recommendations on where to park our car cheaply and safely.. it would be good to find a place that is not around USD20 to USD25 a day which happens to be a monday ...

similarly , am looking for a garage to park the car somewhere between Ferry Plaza building and union square. will be visiting on a saturday and for this, will need to park for at least 12 hrs.

thks much.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car parking questions

Oh come on. If you want to find a place with zero incidents. Well good luck. But there is a covered lot opposite pier 39 and one right in front of pier 39 so park there. There are other parking structures on beach street and one under Ghiradelli

For the ferry building there are open lots diagonally opposite the ferry building or a few south on the Embarcadero.

Don't keep cameras or shopping bags in the back seat and don't move things to the trunk after parking. Don't get out of the car with cameras around your neck and a map in your hand as all that screams tourists

Edited: 23 October 2013, 03:15
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car parking questions

from what i recall the OP will be visiting around dec. with children and strollers. you may want to search the threads for parking lots/prices/break ins. the holidays seem to have more break ins, DE's true? USD $20 is cheap if you compare $USD 65 for each parking infraction. if your car gets towed you're looking at hundreds of dollars to get it out. when you park make sure you put things in your trunk and hide things inside BEFORE you park the car. enjoy.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car parking questions

$35 USD is the average rate. $20 is really cheap for the main areas of SF.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,523 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car parking questions

I don't know of a single parking garage (including the secured one in my condo building) that has zero break-ins. Yes, one with an attendant is better than one without, but that will also make their parking rates higher. I think you have to decide your priorities (price or security), do what you can to "immunize" yourself from a break-in*, and make a choice.

*As mentioned above, store everything you are going to leave in the car in the trunk BEFORE pulling into the lot. Don't leave ANYthing visible in the car (not sunglasses, CDs, GPS, etc.). Some people even recommend leaving the glove compartment or other closed storage areas in the car open so that people can see there is nothing in them. Of all the people I know who have had car break-ins, 100% of them had something visible in the car -- briefcases, backpacks, laptops, golf clubs.....

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car parking questions

thks all for the advices!

and the reminders not to take things for granted.... esp the advice abt not leaving things in the car (we do have the habit of leaving plastic bags of titbits around) and keeping things in the trunk before going into the garage (we usually do the reverse ie park first then store our things inside the boot)... and i guess not just sf, but wherever we go for this trip...

i do have kids but dun need strollers anymore:)

but how do i know which car park has attendants? do they indicate anywhere outside the car park or in websites?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,523 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car parking questions

Parking "lots" (just a paved lot, not a building) generally don't have an attendant; multi-story garages generally do. There are exceptions... one way to tell is to check to see how to pay... look for a little booth somewhere, maybe at the exit, with a person in it. But, some people feel a smaller, open lot means it's harder for a bad guy to hide while they break in, especially if you park near the edges where people might see something going on.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 08:43
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car parking questions

thks!

we had initially planned to park at this garage at 2210 stockton street which is an underground carpark ... until i stumbled upon reports of cars being broken into in that carpark which is unmanned and without cctv... so i guess we should avoid underground carparks which r unmanned ones...

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car parking questions

Am I wrong, or can't you just walk from Pier 33 to GS?

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Car parking questions

Never, ever, ever think that any parking garage is safe.

I had my car broken into during the Christmas holiday shopping season in the big garage in Union Square. This is an attended garage with gates, cameras, etc. They denied any responsibility whatsoever and were very unhelpful and unsympathetic. The thieves not only smashed a window, setting off the alarm, but smashed the trunk lock and got into it, too. So hot only did I lose purchases, but I had to then try to get a tow truck and take my car to a dealer to get the window and the trunk latch replaced. Ever try to do this around Christmastime when visiting? You pay through the nose and it destroys your holiday good times.

Do not have anything visible in the car and try to avoid actually having anything in the trunk.

The police just shrugged and says it happens all the time.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 18:47
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,523 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car parking questions

>>Am I wrong, or can't you just walk from Pier 33 to GS?<<

Yes, but I "think" the OP was looking for a central parking location from which to walk to both Pier 33 and Ghirardelli Square.

>>says it happens all the time<<

Unfortunately, "life in the big city" means it does happen all the time. Doesn't mean the cops don't care about it, but the odds of finding the bad guys are very slim. When I was a travel agent in the 70s and 80s, a big problem in Honolulu was bad guys watching beaches with binoculars, then breaking into car trunks holding valuables while people enjoyed the sun and surf.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 22:26