We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

urgent! help needed choosing vacation rental

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Topic
urgent! help needed choosing vacation rental

i am an organised person & love to have everything planned which is why i booked a rental for my SF trip months ago...and tonight the host decided to cancel! a few weeks before my trip, no explanation, but i see they cancelled everyone elses reservations too..so unprofessional. an apology would have been nice.

now i am faced with the task of trying to find somewhere in that budget and most places are booked up since its only a few weeks to go but here is a few i found within my budget,please help me chose the best local. old location was steiner st

- 937 geary st

- south polk st/tenderloin (i know tenderloin is overall sketchy, is this area just as bad?)

- 1869 27th ave, outer sunset (this apartment has best decor, host says 4 blocks from n-judah, 1,16,71 buses stop on the corner out front)

- 1014 girard street

are any of these places even good choices? im a little bummed that all of my original favourites are now booked up :(

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: urgent! help needed choosing vacation rental

i could always wait another few weeks, closer to time of travel, and see if any of the higher price places would give me a deal for booking last minute....but that is not a certain

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: urgent! help needed choosing vacation rental

I am so sorry this happened to you. :( I wonder if they sold the property or something.

- The Geary one and South Polk are pretty much in the same area. Without knowing exactly where on Polk is hard to say. Some blocks are ok, others not so much.

- Strike the Girard one off your list. It is way far from most tourist attractions and not great with public transport. I have family in that area and some have lived on Girard but I still won't send you there.

- Sunset/27th Ave is the best option of the ones you listed but still far from typical tourist attractions. It is true that N Judah is nearby and you can catch the bus on 19th Ave and GGP is nearby. I would take that of the 4 from what you have told us so far. But I wonder if you can do better.

When are you coming? How many people and what's your budget in USD? Maybe folks van help with hotel alternatives. Motor lodges on Lombard?

Edited: 25 October 2013, 07:52
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: urgent! help needed choosing vacation rental

i have no idea why they cancelled, i noticed about 2 weeks ago the host took down the listing, she was new to airbnb when i booked but seemed efficient and gained 2 positive reviews since. i wish she had let me know at the time.

it will be easier for me to book another rental since airbnb can use the previous payment towards a new one (if i request refund my bank will charge me fees)

just one person, solo female traveler, early 20s

could maybe consider these too, but the rent & security deposits are higher, meaning i will have less money to spend during my vacation

- 1029 hyde

- mcallister st (muni #5 stops metres away)

- eddy st, across from Jefferson Square Park

edit: THANK YOU for the reply, by the way. i have been awake since 5am trying to find a new place, i am a little sleepy and forgetful :) i will be there thanksgiving week for 5 nights

Edited: 25 October 2013, 08:03
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: urgent! help needed choosing vacation rental

Glad to help. I would rather do this than work. : )

-Hyde St - still in Tenderloin. I don't like that at all for a single female

- McAllister and what? Always give us exact cross streets

- Eddy: looks promising... relatively central and in a good neighborhood.

I have never used airbnb, only vrbo. Are you looking to share when hosts still there? I wonder if your cancelled host is a renter and the landlords didn't allow this... doesn't help you I know. Good to know airbnb will let you apply payment to another listing. But if she cancelled on you, why would the bank charge you fees? Or are the fees from airbnb?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: urgent! help needed choosing vacation rental

mcallister doesn't give much info, but a review does say it is a few metres from #5 muni which stops at 786 mcallister st, thats the most info i have

i really like the eddy st apart, but they require $300 security deposit. i only have a debit card so this will be $300 of my trip money tied up if i do go ahead and book it. its also more expensive than the original booking...but i don't have a ton of options right now so if its the best choice i will have to just deal with it

i checked vrbo too but nothing within my budget for those dates. on airbnb i am looking to book an entire apt rather than a room. my bank will charge fees because i paid in USD and i live in a euro country

Edited: 25 October 2013, 08:31
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: urgent! help needed choosing vacation rental

I would be wary about McAllister without knowing more. That address may be close to some public housing.

I had thought Eddy was on the other side of Geary but I THINK this location may still be ok.

Wait for more folks to chime in before you book.

Are the budget motels on Lombard out of your budget? I suspect they may be since it's Thanksgiving week and I have stayed on Lombard over Thanksgicing before I moved back. I guess the hostel idea -thinking the one at Fort Mason - would be a downgrade too?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: urgent! help needed choosing vacation rental

sorry for another post.

- 66 lapidge st. i was originally going to book this one but the host wasnt sure if she could rent that week, i see the dates are now free. will cost me an extra $100 but i won't have to pay a crazy deposit. i think this place could be a good location?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: urgent! help needed choosing vacation rental

mcallister looks like low income housing. eddy is kitty corner to low income housing on laguna. from your options. eddy seems good. if you can wait another 8+ hours, the DE and others can provide more insight. 27th ave. is ok. but it could take you an hour to get downtown. if you walk south 5 blocks to taraval, up a hill then slightly down, it will be a little quicker at the train goes to west portal station and then it's all underground. $300, you won't be able to spend it, but you can get it back correct?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: urgent! help needed choosing vacation rental

66 lapidge st looks good. valencia is very lively at night. lots of people and eateries and bars. why don't you ask them if they could give you a $100 off. you could explain your situation.

Edited: 25 October 2013, 08:48
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: urgent! help needed choosing vacation rental

thank you Rachel!

yes i would get the $300 back about a week after my trip i think

i have already asked the owner of lapidge st if she has the dates available (just to be sure) if she gets back to me i will ask about a discount but im not sure anyone will want to when my dates are so specific and during the holidays