We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

golden gate park

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dwr
thornhill, ontario
Level Contributor
249 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
golden gate park

we're thinking of going to gg park and seeing the de young museum, japanese tea garden and the academy of science. will this take all day or will we have time to spend several hours walking around haight ashbury first. thanks for your help.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,418 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: golden gate park

Depends on who the we is how interested you are in all the exhibits. both the deYoung and the Cal Academy take a few hours each and don't miss the view from the observatory at the deYoung. The tea garden is the shortest in terms of time so perhaps if you do all three with a lunch break you may have some time to do Haight,

I don't know if one needs several hours in the Haight unless one is stuck in a bar or microbrewery in any case

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: golden gate park

Much depends on how long you wish to spend at the de Young. I don't know when you're traveling but it sounds like soon. The David Hockney show at the de Young opens tomorrow and Bulgari is there as well. The Hockney show is huge (300 objects) so if it's stuff you like (and it's very engaging) it could well take over an hour. Bulgari is fun and definitely worth an hour. The permanent collection has a broad range: a very nice American collection and some interesting ethnographic works from the Americas (Arctic to Andes), Oceania and Africa.

After that the Academy of Sciences is usually 90 minutes at minimum (lots of kids there so the noise level is high -- 90 minutes is the end of my tolerance). I'm more a fan of Stow Lake than the Japanese Tea Garden. Rent a peddle boat and it's quite a relaxing experience.

I think the Park can take the better part of the day. I'd say start there and end in the Haight. Or the Inner Sunset or Cole Valley which are nearby neighborhoods which I prefer over the Haight.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,279 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: golden gate park

I agree with what has already been said and the time involved obviously depends on your interests.

I love the American collection at the de Young and always spend time there but it depends on what other shows are happening at the time of your visit as WD says.

I'm not a huge fan of the Tea Garden but if it is on your must do list then you should do it and check out Stow Lake as WD suggests.

You will not need several hours in the Haight and I like the idea of ending up there.

For a fun meal check out Cha Cha Cha___great way to end your day.

cha3.com/cha-cha-cha---haight---about.html

Edited: 26 October 2013, 07:39
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: golden gate park

I agree--better to start in the park so you have enough time. The only time I went to the "new" science museum we spent close to a half day, including lunch. If you like plants, the Arboretum is right there too. I prefer it to the Tea Garden.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: golden gate park

Tea Garden doesn't get much love from locals. It's not that it's horrible but it's not very large and they nick you every time you turn around. Used to be that admission included a bit of tea and cookies. Not anymore.

japaneseteagardensf.com/documents/…20v3.pdf

But if it's on your list try to go Monday, Wednesday or Friday before 10AM when admission is free.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: golden gate park

We went to the Academy of Sciences about midday after a bay cruise in 2009 and we were too late for planetarium tickets so maybe go there first

dwr
thornhill, ontario
Level Contributor
249 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: golden gate park

thanks for all your help. we are actually going to be in s.f. mid-feb. think we'll leave haight ashbury for another time and maybe wander around cole valley. will also take a look at the boutanical gardens instead of the tea garden. just like doing some research early. also builds the excitement:)

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: golden gate park

Cole Valley is about a 5-10 minute walk from the Haight, so depending on how much time you have for Cole Valley you could do both.

Another area to consider, especially regarding a lunch break from the museum area of the park, is the Inner Sunset neighborhood. "Ground Zero" is 9th & Irving, maybe 5 minute walk (south) from the museums. A fair number of restaurants, shops, bars, etc. It's also, a short N Judah ride from Cole Valley (and somewhat the Haight, see above).

That's my $.02,

hlo

Edited: 26 October 2013, 23:43
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,418 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: golden gate park

You could do dinner in Cole valley. From French Zazie to an excellent ( not your fathers burrito place) with a spicy mescal drink to the ice cream bar for your fathers soda and tincture floats

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: golden gate park

I love Zazie. Sit outside and they have heaters and offer blankets. Twinkly lights along the wall of the garden -- it's truly enchanting. Not to mention yummy. Easily accessed via the N-Judah from downtown.

Last time I went was (I think) Tuesday (or maybe Wednesday) and it was free corkage night so we picked up a couple of bottles of wine from the store across the street. I was with friend's of friends from the UK -- I'm not sure they would have made it out there without my "encouragement" but they adored it. And it is extremely easy to get to from downtown.

http://www.zaziesf.com/