We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice hotel on Castro?

Hamont-Achel...
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Topic
nice hotel on Castro?

Dear all,

I'm looking for a nice hotel in the Castro neighborhood from Nov 6 till Nov 9. I've already checked the Beck's Motor Lodge, the Inn on Castro and the Willows Inn, and all of them are booked. The reviews of Andrew Whelan house are horrible.

Are there any other options?

Thanks in advance,

Alexander

Mentioned in this post
The Castro
The Castro
834 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Beck's Motor Lodge
Beck's Motor Lodge
511 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Inn on Castro
Inn on Castro
781 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
sf
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: nice hotel on Castro?

SF is a relatively small city in area, with very few hotels in neighborhoods, except for the Marina, Japantown Ocean Beach, and South of Market. The ones you'll find in the neighborhoods are B&B, motor lodges and small ones like the ones you've already tried.

If you're looking for a nice hotel you're better off looking at the Union Square area.

Mentioned in this post
Japantown
Japantown
420 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Union Square
Union Square
1,857 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,061 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nice hotel on Castro?

Not saying you shouldn't stay there, but the Castro isn't exactly "hotel central."

You'll find a lot more options in Union Square and/or Embarcadero. Either of these areas is a short MUNI ride to the Castro Station (with minimal wait time for a train since the subway is served by multiple lines). Off the top of my head, I'd guess the longest ride (from Embarcadero Station) would be ~15 minutes or so and from Powell more like 10 minutes.

Alternatively there is the F Market (antique) Streetcar line for above ground travel (will take a little longer, but you can see things & I think the antique cars are nearly as neat as the Cable Car).

Again, not saying you shouldn't stay in the Castro, just that you're not going to nearly as many choices and what is there probably isn't as nice (and obviously are more likely to run into availability issues).

That's my $.02,

hlo

Mentioned in this post
The Castro
The Castro
834 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Union Square
Union Square
1,857 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
834 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nice hotel on Castro?

perhaps try a home rental? airbnb.com vrbo.com

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: nice hotel on Castro?

No other hotels in the area, check for B&Bs; Parker's is on Church St. and there are a couple of others. The next closest hotel is the TravelLodge on Market at Valencia, easy walking distance to Castro.

Edited: 01 November 2013, 20:29
Mentioned in this post
The Castro
The Castro
834 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,316 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nice hotel on Castro?

If your heart is in staying in the Castro, you might also check out:

The Parker Guest House:

http://www.parkerguesthouse.com

The 24 Henry House (probably on par with the Willows Inn):

http://www.24henry.com

Not too far afield is Sleep Over Sauce (named so as it is above Sauce, the restaurant):

http://www.sleepsf.com

Other than that, I would agree that you might pick something along the Market Street corridor. I would stick Northeast of Civic Center Metro station. Anywhere near Powell/Montgomery/Embarcadero stations would be good.

The subway ride is short and only crowded at rush hour (toward the Bay in the mornings/toward the Castro in the evenings).

Mentioned in this post
The Castro
The Castro
834 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Parker Guest House
Parker Guest House
1,015 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Sleep Over Sauce
Sleep Over Sauce
115 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Market Street
Market Street
507 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
The Metro Hotel
The Metro Hotel
532 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
834 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
6. Re: nice hotel on Castro?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 04:18