We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dinner near Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf

Benicia, California
Level Contributor
108 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
dinner near Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf

Hi: I am looking for suggestions for excellent dinner locations for a larger group (say ~30) near the Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf (or somewhat nearby). Excellent but not break the bank, with a good wine list. Any help is appreciated! Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,017 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dinner near Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf

Excellent food and Fishermans Wharf are NEVER found in the same sentence. What kind of cuisine are you interested in and how far are you willing to travel?

sf
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: dinner near Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf

Firenze by Night Ristorante might fit your needs, its not far from the Wharf.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dinner near Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf

What day of the week? A lot of restaurants aren't interested in having a large group on a weekend.

I like Capp's for large groups but it may not fit the "excellent" food (although I like it) nor the "good wine list."

Fairly recent, somewhat on point, conversation here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k691831…

Benicia, California
Level Contributor
108 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dinner near Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf

WhiteDahlia: We are looking for dinner spots for the group for Tuesday and Wednesday nights, so not the weekend (which I agree can be a problem). Datthecoast: since Gary Danko is near the Hyatt FW, and Gary Danko is excellent food (but expensive!), good food can be found near there. But Gary Danko cannot accommodate a big group. What do people think of Scoma's or Forbes Island? Any North Beach Italian suggestions? Thanks again for your help.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,716 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dinner near Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf

Fishermans Wharf better restaurants is usually __food good but not excellent and overpriced for the tourist market and I agree with others that better food can be found elsewhere but both the following places could possibly suit your needs.

Worth having a look at

mccormickandschmicks.com/Locations/san-franc…

aliotos.com/index.php/…private-banquets

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,716 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dinner near Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf

I just saw your last post____I would give Forbes Island a miss.

Scoma's I have used for groups and was always good but it was Scoma's at Sausalito. I guess the quality would be the same. ?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: dinner near Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf

On a tues/weds night you could probably take over a big chunk of a place like Original Joe's right on Washington Square, just up from FW, This place will serve up something for everybody: pasta, steaks, sea food, you name it.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dinner near Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf

While it's true that Gary Danko's is close to Fisherman's Wharf, it can hardly be called a "Wharf restaurant."

I think the above idea of Original Joe's is a good one. They have a couple of private rooms as well. It's a big enough place that their kitchen should be able to handle 30 orders coming in at once. You take over a smaller place (or nearly so) and you overwhelm the kitchen.

If you want the Wharf, I suppose Scoma's is the best bet. But I think it's way overpriced.

Benicia, California
Level Contributor
108 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dinner near Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf

Thanks all for the suggestions, very much appreciated! I am not trying to find a wharf restaurant, I am trying to find a good restaurant near the Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf, where the group will be staying, that can accommodate a large group. So something like Original Joe's looks good. Thanks for the tip that Scoma's is overpriced--I have never been there. And good to know to take a pass on Forbes Island.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 21:19
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: dinner near Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf

While they are at a new (and beautiful) location, this is the original Original Joe's. They have been at it for a long time, and as WhiteDahlia, mentions, they know how to handle a crowd your size without burning the steaks and sending out undercooked fish. You might want to call ahead just to let them know you're coming.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 21:27