My wife and I (aged 27 & 32) are planning a trip to San Francisco from December 25th to 29th. We should be reaching SFO from Toronto on the 25th at about noon. We fly to Vegas on the 29th evening (flight out of SFO at approx. 8:30 pm)
Our plan is to rent an apartment from AirBnb close to union square.
From a little reading that I have done, following is the rough itinerary I have come up with:
25th - Chinatown, Japantown, Golden Gate Park, Union Square decorations
26th - Fishermen's Wharf - Pier 39, Hyde Pier, Alcatrz Night tour, Ghiradelli Square
27th - Union Square, Lombard Street, Marina District, Golden Gate Bridge
28th - Ferry Building Marketplace, Emaberacedo, Coit Tower, North Beach
29th - Twin Peaks/Exploratorium/California Academy of Sciences/Angel Island
The plan would be to walk as much as possible but also to experience the wonderful transit system including the cable and street cars at times. Also, to enjoy some good food varieties (nothing too fancy, but good local food).
1. Is the itinerary from 25th to 28th too busy.. or too relaxed?
2. We are assuming on that the 25th, majority of the city would be shut, but chinatown, japantown and the park should be open... am I correct? Also, would the Hamon Tower of de Young Museum be open on the 25th?
3. Any suggestions for the 29th... since we only have till about 5pm before we'd have to head to the airport?
4. Is there any place we can store our luggage on the 29th, since we'll have to probably check out in the morning/afternoon?
6. Can we rent bikes close to the Golden gate bridge?
7. Any suggestions on a good walking tour?
Any other suggestions/comments would be very welcome.
Apologies for the long post. Your time and feedback is much appreciated.